Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
So, I'm exploring more.

Test 1 - LibreELEC Milhouse live nightly build
I did revisit the nightly Milhouse live stick, and really let it run for a good, good while, to see if anything developed after some time.
No issues, all good and spotless. Real nice!
Reference data:
Test 2 - Ubuntu install with mainline 4.14.5 kernel, vaapi and xorg edgers PPAs
Going all in! At least with what I know is available... The xorg edgers PPA brings more recent libdrm-intel, mesa-va-drivers, mesa...
Issues are there after about 30-40mn, still a long time later than any other test. I played it for longer without issues on a previous test, but I had no debug logging on, and I thought that all was good. Could debug logging interfere (that overlay on screen, maybe?). I'll retry that without debug going later, just to be sure.
Reference data:
Test 3 - Ubuntu install with stock Ubuntu kernel, vaapi and xorg edgers PPAs
While wondering if the kernel really brought anything and if upgrading mesa/libdrm could not be enough, and willing to use a kernel that I will not have to maintain more or less myself... I have downgraded the kernel from mainline 4.14.5 to stock Ubuntu 4.13.
Results are the same as test 2
Reference data:
Conclusions, so far

Without knowing the version used in the LibreELEC nightly, it's difficult to know the exact impact of mesa, mesa-drivers-va and libdrm.

Kernel impact appears to be null.

I really would like to know if there is a PPA for libva 2.0.0 anywhere, or if the current PPA could be brought up to that version. My gut feeling is that a jump from 1.8.3 to 2.0.0 is not something without impact. But... My guess is that Kodi (and all other dependencies in the distro) would have to be built targetting 2.x instead of 1.8, which I foresee as a blocker in an Ubuntu world.

Still on the agenda
I've just remembered a post asking me to enable drm.debug=0xe. I'll get to this and post as soon as I have figured out where/how that needs to happen!
I'll run another test 3 without debug logging, to check whether the overlay is cause for issues or not. Is this thing random, now?

I'm ready to go about any other test, suggestion, etc. that you may have!

Thanks again, everyone involved, for the time, effort, patience... It's fantastic that a numpty like me can have access to such support!

Messages In This Thread
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - by camelreef - 2017-12-14, 20:33
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18