Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2017-06-28, 12:28)Axman Wrote:
(2017-06-28, 12:19)soder Wrote: Hi. I know this is kind of a question that might not be suited for this thread, but I try it anyways.

I got a Intel NUC (nuc5cpyh) with braswell, and I kind of bought it cause I thought it was "future proof" and could do both x264 and hevc in 2160p. I've later learned from you guys in here that it doesn't play hevc in 10bits in HW, making it impossible to play 2160p hevc in 10bit on that NUC.

I wonder if there's some other great hardware to use a my HTPC, wíth about the same specs as my NUC, but also play 10bits hevc?

Thanks.

/Söder

I'll apologize in advance, because my answer will disappoint you. Unfortunately, it is based on fresh experience and as such reflects reality:

- Braswell is not future proof - you should opt for Kaby Lake now to get HW decoding of HEVC in 2160p
- You need bleeding edge Mesa (Intel) drivers and latest Kodi agile (from git), see my post for instructions: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2543877
- the 7th Gen NUCs have these CPUs, but unfortunately there are issues with DTS-HD bitstreaming on Linux. I had a Gen 7 i3 NUC and was unable to get passthrough of HD audio working (but hw encoding of the video worked

Short answer: Buy a desktop PC (mini ITX H270 board for example, if you want it small) and use a Kaby Lake CPU on it. Then follow step 0 of Fritsch's guide in first post, and follow my instructions from step 1.

Then you'll have a future proof system capable of HW decoding 10bit HEVC 2160p, and also full HD audio passthrough support. The result of my search for the ultimate HTPC.

For more general advice on hardware picks, I would consult wrxtasy's guide here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 
 If I didn't thank you before, I do it now. I've returned to your post many times, and tried to look in to what I should get instead of my Braswell NUC.

I miss being able to see hevc 4k 10bits on my (for now) not HDR ready TV, and I returned once again to your post to find the url to the guild.

I think that the Vero 4K could be something for me. It's not android, and seems to be able to do a lot of stuff I want. Do you guys think it's a great device?

If not, what is it missing in your opinions? 

Thanks.

/Söder
Vero 4K with unRAID server and mysql (mariadb)

Messages In This Thread
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - by soder - 2018-02-05, 21:54
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18