• 37(current)
Beta Copacetic: alpha and beta development thread
Is this skin now "nexus" only ?
Installing repo on matrix and its empty , no skin.
Copacetic helper throwing an error and skin itself won't install directly from zip ?
EDIT : I will have to bite the bullet and try "Nexus" Smile
(2023-02-05, 18:20)ontap Wrote: Is this skin now "nexus" only ?
Installing repo on matrix and its empty , no skin.
Copacetic helper throwing an error and skin itself won't install directly from zip ?
EDIT : I will have to bite the bullet and try "Nexus" Smile

yes sorry nexus only as I didn't have the bandwidth to support Matrix as well while this is still in development
OK thanks for responding. Tried nexus and your skin . Not Kodi's fault but too many addons "legal ones" don't seem to have updated to support nexus as yet , so am back on matrix for now.
(2023-02-04, 15:57)HuggyOnline Wrote: Thank you for all the updates to the skin. Still loving the crap out of it.

Can you possibly add Grid view to Pictures gallery as you did with Videos a few weeks ago? Would love to have my Videos and Pictures displayed the same way.
Not sure what you mean. You should already have Grid for pictures if you enable it in Settings > Copacetic > Views > Grid / Pictures Window

Grid view in videos gallery display as 16:9 thumbnails which is great. Grid view in pictures gallery display as 1:1 square thumbnails. The skin crops the wide -fanart.jpg -thumb.jpg or folder.jpg into the boxed square thumbnail. This is good but I would rather have an option for it to display the entire thumbnail as it does in Videos gallery's 16:9 format.

(2023-02-11, 07:16)HuggyOnline Wrote: Grid view in videos gallery display as 16:9 thumbnails which is great. Grid view in pictures gallery display as 1:1 square thumbnails. The skin crops the wide -fanart.jpg -thumb.jpg or folder.jpg into the boxed square thumbnail. This is good but I would rather have an option for it to display the entire thumbnail as it does in Videos gallery's 16:9 format.

The thing is I think square makes the most sense for pictures because they could have any aspect ratio and whether they are wide or tall, square will stretch them the least in order to fill the boundary of the image texture. If you had 16:9 but were viewing a portrait image for example, it would zoom in quite far into the middle section of the image to fill the 16:9 thumbnail. 

I wanted to keep it fairly lightweight and 'plug-and-play' here, which is why I opted for square views. Because if I enable 16:9 for grid, then all of the other views have a 16:9 view as well and then billboard comes back in as well. And things are getting a lot more complicated. So what I'll probably do when I get time is add a setting to enable the fanart view for pictures, but leave it off by default.
Nice skin but will PVR option be implimented?
(2023-02-11, 18:25)kobyboy Wrote: Nice skin but will PVR option be implimented?

It's on the list. Nearly finished everything else. Just bug fixing and polishing
Thanks for the update
Request for help testing a couple of features:

Could anyone who uses Kodi for music and has the newest (0.9.84 - available from repo or Github) version of Copacetic installed try out a couple of features please?

I'm not sure if the issues I'm seeing are with my code or my hardware/software, so wanted to see if other users are experiencing the same.

Music playback
1) Music > Albums > Album info > Tracklist. Selecting a track sees Kodi queue up the rest of the album from that point in a playlist, but it fails to actually playback the songs
2) Music > Songs > Song info > Create radio station - This should queue up the hlighted song plus a list of other songs from the library with the same genre. Playback doesn't start with the highlighted song and Kodi struggles to play back certain tracks in the playlist
3) Music > Songs > Context menu > Create radio station - As above, it appears sometimes to playback from the second song in the playlist, skipping the highlighted song
4 ) Music playlist > Context menu > Create radio station - choosing the context menu for a song in the music playlist and choosing Create radio station updates the playlist as expected, but Kodi cannot playback the songs.

Liked songs - ratings and widgets
Could anyone using music and interested in a binary ratings overlay or not currently using user ratings for songs also test out the 'Like song' functionality. To enable this, you need to go to Settings > Look and Feel > Liked song rating threshold (1-10). If you select a value here, e.g. 7, that will be taken as the threshold for user ratings where a song is considered liked. When there is a value here, you will now see hearts in song views for liked tracks and will be able to like/unlike in either the MusicPlayer widget, Music OSD controls or song item context menu. You can then add a homescreen widget for Liked songs and anything you like should appear here automatically. I think this is all working, but have a small sample size for testing so would love any feedback from users, thanks!

Video explaining liked songs and showing the playback issues here: https://www.loom.com/share/ed716fd738924...f9c9444859
Hi realcopacetic

Thanks for you for your reply on the auto play trailer thread

This skin is super cool and really slick. Great sense of aesthetics! Kudos.

These are just minor polish ideas in case you want some feedback. Feel free to ignore.
- during playback if you pause the video then the user can cycle through: the play controls, the OSD controls, and the seek bar. When you go to the seek bar it gets red, which helps the user see what's selected. But when you go to the play controls and OSD controls that still stay white. Maybe make then red too on selection?
- it's easy to accidentally delete the video bookmarks. Maybe have a confirm dialog? And is it possible to just delete a single bookmark?
- when the trailer starts playing (independently of the Display mode being Background or Thumbnails) it would be cool if the list would fade away after 5 or 10 secs. IMO it just ends up being "in the way". And the user knows they can get back to the list by pressing up/down.

Now for my actual "wish item" that would be great if it could happen.. Would you consider implementing another Display mode (maybe called Info or Details) in the vein to what is implemented by Aeon Tajo?
One pic is worth a thousand words so: https://i.imgur.com/6deyfni.png
And what happens here is that with trailer auto play enabled, the fanart on the top right gets replaced by the trailer, in that region (so only using 1/6 of the screen or so). So the user can still read the plot/description and look at the thumbnail list while the trailer plays.
(2023-02-14, 03:31)adama42 Wrote: Hi realcopacetic

Thanks for you for your reply on the auto play trailer thread

This skin is super cool and really slick. Great sense of aesthetics! Kudos.

These are just minor polish ideas in case you want some feedback. Feel free to ignore.
- during playback if you pause the video then the user can cycle through: the play controls, the OSD controls, and the seek bar. When you go to the seek bar it gets red, which helps the user see what's selected. But when you go to the play controls and OSD controls that still stay white. Maybe make then red too on selection?
- it's easy to accidentally delete the video bookmarks. Maybe have a confirm dialog? And is it possible to just delete a single bookmark?
- when the trailer starts playing (independently of the Display mode being Background or Thumbnails) it would be cool if the list would fade away after 5 or 10 secs. IMO it just ends up being "in the way". And the user knows they can get back to the list by pressing up/down.

Now for my actual "wish item" that would be great if it could happen.. Would you consider implementing another Display mode (maybe called Info or Details) in the vein to what is implemented by Aeon Tajo?
One pic is worth a thousand words so: https://i.imgur.com/6deyfni.png
And what happens here is that with trailer auto play enabled, the fanart on the top right gets replaced by the trailer, in that region (so only using 1/6 of the screen or so). So the user can still read the plot/description and look at the thumbnail list while the trailer plays.

Thanks for the feedback @adama42, always appreciated

- I agree there's an inconsistency with the colours because sometimes white = focused and sometimes accent colour = focused. The reason I have stuck with white for buttons is that any other colour could end up clashing with what's underneath and then being hard to see, but because there is an overlay that dims the screen, white should always contrast. The red is default but it can be set to any other colour in settings, so I don't want to rely on it too heavily, but I'll have a think on this.
- Video bookmark behaviour is Kodi controlled so I don't think there's much I can do to change that behaviour unfortunately. Unless you've seen it handled differently in other skins, then please let me know and I'll take a look
- If you use a recent version of the skin (repo or direct zip download from Github), the list should completely be hidden when playback starts. Are you seeing the list stay on top of the trailer in that video I shared? Or you might be using an older version? That was how it worked for a while but I since changed it.

- I tried making this sort of view before but I didn't like it much. The main reason was that I think for it to work, you need trailers that are a certain aspect ratio and don't contain a lot of text. You'll notice most of the time Netflix uses a clip in 1.78:1 to play in the corner. But unless someone has carefully curated all their own clips, most of what is scraped into ListItem.Trailer is in 2.35:1 with all sorts of splash screens and text all over the screen. So you end up most of the time with black bars and it just looks a bit crap in my opinion. I tried to overcome this by making the video window bigger than the space but there are too many exceptions, like trailers for movies that use 4:3 aspect raio or have hardcoded subtitles etc. In the end I decided it was cleaner and simpler just to have playback go fullscreen and hide everything else. I think it works ok on my system, and for items where it's using a local file for the trailer, the effect is pretty seamless. When it's pulling trailers from online, there's a slight delay when the controls get a bit stuck while Kodi is busy buffering or whatever. You may notice if you try to move just before trailer playback starts, it gets a bit 'stuck' momentarily. I'm not sure there is a way around this to be honest, but it's another reason why I think that sort of view you proposed won't work, because it I think it won't ever be as smooth as netflix, at least unless someone else knows how to do it differently to what I've done.
Thank you for the lengthy reply Smile

I installed the skin yesterday by following the instructions on the first post via repository. Maybe I did something wrong?
The skin addon has auto update enabled. It shows as version 0.9.85
I did see your demo video in the first post and I did see the list disappeared while the trailer start playing. I thought maybe the latest version had changed behavior.

Regarding my suggested "Details" Display mode:
About the trailer aspect ratio and size. I personally have no problem at all with the size or aspect ratios. Even for trailers with text I can still read it both on my laptop and tv.
The only thing I don't like (with Aeon Tajo implementation of this mode) are the fading black borders surrounding the trailer. They're not fooling me and end up making the trailer playback worse. I would remove those fading black bars.

Quote:But unless someone has carefully curated all their own clips, most of what is scraped into ListItem.Trailer is in 2.35:1 with all sorts of splash screens and text all over the screen. So you end up most of the time with black bars and it just looks a bit crap in my opinion. I tried to overcome this by making the video window bigger than the space but there are too many exceptions, like trailers for movies that use 4:3 aspect raio or have hardcoded subtitles etc.
FWIW I don't use kodi to scrape artwork. I use a custom script to download trailers from youtube in 720p or 1080p. I think it's nice for people to be able to stream the trailer from youtube, but it's just the wrong approach IMO. Some trailers get deleted others are restricted and require login... it just doesn't work consistently due to youtube side.
If the trailer is 4:3 you'll always have black borders due to today's devices screen ratio, fullscreen or not. So why not simplify? Simply reserve a region that uses the same ratio as the kodi resolution you've configured and play the trailer there. Do you have to specify the resize math logic in the skin or can't you just say kodi "play this file in this region" and kodi will resize it to fit it?
I personally like browsing both ways. Background is slick and clean. But a Details view gives me all the information in one screen.
At the end of day this would be just another display option subject to user preference. Furthermore the option to autoplay the trailer would still apply. Meaning if it's off then that region would just display and cycle through the existing artwork.

Cheers
(2023-02-14, 15:08)adama42 Wrote: Thank you for the lengthy reply Smile

I installed the skin yesterday by following the instructions on the first post via repository. Maybe I did something wrong?
The skin addon has auto update enabled. It shows as version 0.9.85
I did see your demo video in the first post and I did see the list disappeared while the trailer start playing. I thought maybe the latest version had changed behavior.

Regarding my suggested "Details" Display mode:
About the trailer aspect ratio and size. I personally have no problem at all with the size or aspect ratios. Even for trailers with text I can still read it both on my laptop and tv.
The only thing I don't like (with Aeon Tajo implementation of this mode) are the fading black borders surrounding the trailer. They're not fooling me and end up making the trailer playback worse. I would remove those fading black bars.
Quote:But unless someone has carefully curated all their own clips, most of what is scraped into ListItem.Trailer is in 2.35:1 with all sorts of splash screens and text all over the screen. So you end up most of the time with black bars and it just looks a bit crap in my opinion. I tried to overcome this by making the video window bigger than the space but there are too many exceptions, like trailers for movies that use 4:3 aspect raio or have hardcoded subtitles etc.
FWIW I don't use kodi to scrape artwork. I use a custom script to download trailers from youtube in 720p or 1080p. I think it's nice for people to be able to stream the trailer from youtube, but it's just the wrong approach IMO. Some trailers get deleted others are restricted and require login... it just doesn't work consistently due to youtube side.
If the trailer is 4:3 you'll always have black borders due to today's devices screen ratio, fullscreen or not. So why not simplify? Simply reserve a region that uses the same ratio as the kodi resolution you've configured and play the trailer there. Do you have to specify the resize math logic in the skin or can't you just say kodi "play this file in this region" and kodi will resize it to fit it?
I personally like browsing both ways. Background is slick and clean. But a Details view gives me all the information in one screen.
At the end of day this would be just another display option subject to user preference. Furthermore the option to autoplay the trailer would still apply. Meaning if it's off then that region would just display and cycle through the existing artwork.

Cheers

Ahh you're right, that's a bug. The text shouldn't be there. I recently changed how some of the code works and must have forgot to hide this list when playback starts. It'll be fixed shortly. Thanks for raising it.
Hiya, hope you're keeping well. Just a wee bug report on v9.88 from the repository. It's started to autoplay again when loading into a video add-on list. Cheers 👍
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copacetic: alpha and beta development thread8