[Android] Wrong external display aspect ratio
Hello,
Kodi is fantastic on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 running Lollipop 5.0.2, but I've noticed a problem with external displays.

When using an MHL adapter (Micro USB to HDMI) to play videos on an external TV, Kodi 15.0 just mirrors the same screen both on the tablet and the external screen.

The tablet aspect ratio is 16:10 while the external TV is usually 16:9, with Kodi the screen is simply mirrored so that a couple of black bars are placed on the sides of the external display.
It seems there's also a new trend for tablets moving to the old 4:3 aspect ratio: the recent Samsung Tab A and the upcoming Tab S2 both feature a 4:3 aspect ratio, the problem with Kodi and this 4:3 tablets is huge.

VLC for Android beta seems a bit more mature in this regard as it behaves as the built-in Samsung video player:

1) the video is reproduced only on the external display with a correct 16:9 aspect ratio
2) on the tablet screen there are only video and app controls
3) if there's no user interaction for a short time the tablet display turns off to save battery

I hope that the next version of Kodi will support this behaviour with external displays.

Thank you for Kodi, it's the best and I'm recomending it to all!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Android] Wrong external display aspect ratio0