Force? Wifi login browser for FireTV Stick
I love the ability of the firetv stick to circumvent captive portals on hotel wifi. Makes the fire tv stick and kodi my number one travel companion.

That is.. when it's working at least. Has anyone ever experienced this where you login to public wifi and the portal browser doesn't pop up? You would think there would be a way to force the browser to appear to enter the login details.

Life story: This is my third firetv stick, I load with kodi then end up giving away to family / friends, so I have to buy another. So, I take this one on a two week work trip here.
- Hotel stop #1 and a 2 night stay, the firetv stick logged in fine; connected to the hotel wifi, the browser popped up, I entered the room number as the password, connected. Done, simple.
- Hotel stop #2 and a 9 night stay, the firetv stick sees the wifi network, connects to the wifi network, but it doesn't detect an internet connection so it never opens the browser to fill in the login details. Oops, the remaining 8 nights are going to suck.

Hey moderators: This is off topic to kodi, I know. Other websites with firetv forums have much lower post activity. Since Kodi users make up the best portion of FireTV Stick users, I figure this is the best place to ask. Chat log below with amazon was not so useful. I don't think the poor guy had ever used a firetv stick before.

Quote:Initial Question: My fire tv stick won't login to my hotel's wifi. Says connected, but the browser window never pops up to login
Amazon: Hello, I'm Sunita from Amazon Digital support team. I hope you're doing well today Smile I will be glad to assist you.
DW: I tried restarting, updating to latest software, forgetting the network and reconnecting. Just says "connected with problems" in network settings
Amazon: Fire TV Stick automatically detects nearby Wi-Fi networks that broadcast their network name. Some networks are open for everyone to join, while others require a password to connect.
Amazon: You may want to check once with the hotel management to check if there is any restriction or password set up to connect to WiFi.
DW: My other devices don't have an issue connecting.
DW: I can see ithe fire tv stick gets an ip adress
Amazon: Okay, lets restart the device once again and try.
DW: Ok, I'll restart
Amazon: Press and hold the Select button and the Play button at the same time until the device restarts. Or, unplug the power adapter from the device or from the wall outlet.
DW: Restarted
DW: Is connected to wifi, but gives same message
Amazon: 1. From the Home screen, select Settings, select System, and then select Network.
Amazon: 2. Under Available Networks, select a wireless network and enter the network password (if required) using the onscreen keyboard.
Amazon: 3. After you connect to wireless network, press the Home button to display the Home screen.
Amazon: Note: If you don’t see your desired network, scroll down and select Join Other Network or Rescan.
DW: Ok, after connecting and pressing home. Says home is currently unavailable
DW: Is there a way to open the browser to fill in the needed login information?
Amazon: I'll need to check that Dustin
Amazon: Please allow me few minutes.
Amazon: I'm sorry Dustin, at this time, Fire TV Stick does not have a web browser.
DW: Sure it does. The browser pops up when I connect to hotel wifi. Only today it's not working.
Amazon: If you try to connect to one of these networks with your Amazon Fire TV device, a restricted web page will open up. You cannot navigate away from this webpage to other sites or control it like a normal web browser. The page is intended to be used for Wi-Fi sign in only.
DW: Right
DW: That isn't popping up as it should
DW: I need to sign on to the wifi
Amazon: I understand Dustin. In this case, I'll create a replacement for your device.
Amazon: Will the replacement work for you Dustin ?
DW: I don't think there is anything wrong with the device. It was working yesterday at least
Amazon: Since you are not seeing the pop up to sign in, there seems to be an intermittent issue with the device.
DW: Some quirk of this network isn't triggering the login browser to pop up
DW: I want to force that browser to appear
Amazon: In this case, if you prefer, I would suggest you to please retry connecting to WiFI in some time.
Amazon: If that does not work, please do let us know and we'll investigate the issue with our technical team.
(2015-08-20, 15:37)wassabi Wrote: I love the ability of the firetv stick to circumvent captive portals on hotel wifi. Makes the fire tv stick and kodi my number one travel companion.

That is.. when it's working at least. Has anyone ever experienced this where you login to public wifi and the portal browser doesn't pop up? You would think there would be a way to force the browser to appear to enter the login details.

Life story: This is my third firetv stick, I load with kodi then end up giving away to family / friends, so I have to buy another. So, I take this one on a two week work trip here.
- Hotel stop #1 and a 2 night stay, the firetv stick logged in fine; connected to the hotel wifi, the browser popped up, I entered the room number as the password, connected. Done, simple.
- Hotel stop #2 and a 9 night stay, the firetv stick sees the wifi network, connects to the wifi network, but it doesn't detect an internet connection so it never opens the browser to fill in the login details. Oops, the remaining 8 nights are going to suck.

Hey moderators: This is off topic to kodi, I know. Other websites with firetv forums have much lower post activity. Since Kodi users make up the best portion of FireTV Stick users, I figure this is the best place to ask. Chat log below with amazon was not so useful. I don't think the poor guy had ever used a firetv stick before.

Quote:Initial Question: My fire tv stick won't login to my hotel's wifi. Says connected, but the browser window never pops up to login
Amazon: Hello, I'm Sunita from Amazon Digital support team. I hope you're doing well today Smile I will be glad to assist you.
DW: I tried restarting, updating to latest software, forgetting the network and reconnecting. Just says "connected with problems" in network settings
Amazon: Fire TV Stick automatically detects nearby Wi-Fi networks that broadcast their network name. Some networks are open for everyone to join, while others require a password to connect.
Amazon: You may want to check once with the hotel management to check if there is any restriction or password set up to connect to WiFi.
DW: My other devices don't have an issue connecting.
DW: I can see ithe fire tv stick gets an ip adress
Amazon: Okay, lets restart the device once again and try.
DW: Ok, I'll restart
Amazon: Press and hold the Select button and the Play button at the same time until the device restarts. Or, unplug the power adapter from the device or from the wall outlet.
DW: Restarted
DW: Is connected to wifi, but gives same message
Amazon: 1. From the Home screen, select Settings, select System, and then select Network.
Amazon: 2. Under Available Networks, select a wireless network and enter the network password (if required) using the onscreen keyboard.
Amazon: 3. After you connect to wireless network, press the Home button to display the Home screen.
Amazon: Note: If you don’t see your desired network, scroll down and select Join Other Network or Rescan.
DW: Ok, after connecting and pressing home. Says home is currently unavailable
DW: Is there a way to open the browser to fill in the needed login information?
Amazon: I'll need to check that Dustin
Amazon: Please allow me few minutes.
Amazon: I'm sorry Dustin, at this time, Fire TV Stick does not have a web browser.
DW: Sure it does. The browser pops up when I connect to hotel wifi. Only today it's not working.
Amazon: If you try to connect to one of these networks with your Amazon Fire TV device, a restricted web page will open up. You cannot navigate away from this webpage to other sites or control it like a normal web browser. The page is intended to be used for Wi-Fi sign in only.
DW: Right
DW: That isn't popping up as it should
DW: I need to sign on to the wifi
Amazon: I understand Dustin. In this case, I'll create a replacement for your device.
Amazon: Will the replacement work for you Dustin ?
DW: I don't think there is anything wrong with the device. It was working yesterday at least
Amazon: Since you are not seeing the pop up to sign in, there seems to be an intermittent issue with the device.
DW: Some quirk of this network isn't triggering the login browser to pop up
DW: I want to force that browser to appear
Amazon: In this case, if you prefer, I would suggest you to please retry connecting to WiFI in some time.
Amazon: If that does not work, please do let us know and we'll investigate the issue with our technical team.

Hi,

same way you installed Kodi (sideload I assume), install eg Firefox apk. Can be found here http://www.apkmirror.com/?s=firefox&post_type=apps_post (be careful with architecture, not sure which architecture is your device, arm of x86). Before starting Kodi, same way as you started Kodi, start Firefox and fill in info. After that start Kodi. Should work.
what he said ^^^

myself, I'd go with Opera Mini. less big, and just less. which is good on a Fire TV Stick. you don't want to use more room than you need. the thumbnails will end up doing that.

then again, you might have to play with browsers to make sure which one lets you move around in it easily without actually having a mouse unless you have set one up.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...tive&hl=en

http://www.opera.com/mobile/mini/android

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Force? Wifi login browser for FireTV Stick0