v15 Text entry dialog causes high CPU temperatures in Full Screen mode
(2015-09-02, 07:36)ilovethakush Wrote: I'm not sure if this is related or not but I have noticed that on everything I've ever used kodi on, the cpu usage seems clearly higher when browsing and setting artwork and changing episode titles, or searching through actors, things like that. After like a minute or two, the fan turns on and starts working where as when I'm watching videos, I hardly ever hear the fan turn on.

I ahould clarify, by "everything I've used kodi on" I mean 2 devices lol. A windows 8 laptop and my current chromebox openelec

From what little I understand...

Kodi is not doing any rendering when watching videos, just passing the media stream to the onboard decoders via the graphics drivers (if accelerated in hardware) and the hardware taking care of the display refresh for rendering the video. This is fairly efficient on modern CPU/GPU hardware and why even the weakest of the boxes can play full 1080P HD videos without showing strain.

The Kodi rendering happens when you have the Kodi UI components - panels, controls, dialog boxes, overlays, artwork, etc. From what little I understand, this is very CPU/GPU intensive for historical/legacy reasons as Kodi itself keeps refreshing the screen for the UI components. They have done some optimizations to only refresh parts of the screen that changes but that still takes significant CPU/GPU resources. How much of that is avoidable, I would have no idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Text entry dialog causes high CPU temperatures in Full Screen mode - by Common Man - 2015-09-02, 10:03
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Text entry dialog causes high CPU temperatures in Full Screen mode0