Android Is Kodi suitable for my purpose?
Question 
Hi everybody,

I am new in video and audio streaming and also in Kodi. I wanna start a video streaming project. I have started the basic steps and I have done some research in this area. But still I have some unanswered questions in my mind. Hope you can guide me.

I am going to ask some question to find if Kodi can be a good choice for my project.

During my searches, I found that there are some adaptive bit rate network protocols for video streaming, among them I can mention HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) and MPEG-DASH (Dynaminc Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). Some where in Kodi wiki, I faced a list of network clients such as HTTP, HTTPS, MMS, RTP, etc. I couldn't find aforementioned adaptive bit rate protocols in this list.

Now my first question: Can Kodi support MPEG-Dash or HLS?

I can guess the answer: since these two protocol are based on HTTP, it should be possible to have them with Kodi. Am I right?

It seems that if I want to have my own video streaming server, I should write an add-on for my own server to be supported with Kodi. Right? Is there any other ways?

I want to know is it possible that another andriod application calls Kodi as an embedded player in it? It is what is in my mind:

I want to have an android application in which I provide related meta-data for each video, and the possibility to search among all videos, etc... Then the user selects his own desired video, and in this step the android application calls Kodi, send requiered information (like URL, stream type, bandwith, etc) to Kodi.. and finally displaying the video... Is it possible?

Thanks guys for your patience in reading this long post...Smile

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Zeinab
Hi every body Smile

I really need your help. Any tips or sugeestions might appear really helpful.

Sincerely,
Zeinab
I think we do HLS where Kodi will select different bitrates, but I don't know for certain. I just recall it having been discussed before where Kodi was pointed to an HLS URL and needed to select one of the available URLs, where each URL was for a different bitrate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Kodi suitable for my purpose?1