• 3(current)
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)
Maybe this is some videophile necessity, but I don't see what the big deal about 4k only working at 30Hz is.
Does anyone out there in film making world release 4k video in 60Hz/fps?!

Maybe youtubers?/GoPro ppl? But that's surely about it??

Incidentally, Amazon .UK is showing October 5 2015 release date.

Got my fingers crossed Google will show off a new Nexus tv box soon Smile
(2015-09-17, 23:10)PantsOnFire Wrote: Maybe this is some videophile necessity, but I don't see what the big deal about 4k only working at 30Hz is.
Does anyone out there in film making world release 4k video in 60Hz/fps?!

Maybe youtubers?/GoPro ppl? But that's surely about it??

Incidentally, Amazon .UK is showing October 5 2015 release date.

Got my fingers crossed Google will show off a new Nexus tv box soon Smile

big deal is you are buying last years hardware repackaged as this year's tech, hdmi 1.4 is so old why would anyone buy it now!

btw roku 4 supports 4k@60Hz ... they got the idea... no point in doing 4k if you are only going to only support 30Hz or 4:2:0
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2015-09-17, 22:38)Martijn Wrote: Still better than a ATV4 :p

True that... but it looks like the shield is winning this battle.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Especially if it delivers HD audio and 23.976 with the "big" 2.0 update coming.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-09-17, 23:48)hdmkv Wrote: Especially if it delivers HD audio and 23.976 with the "big" 2.0 update coming.

And hopefully.....That is the update we are looking for. Wink
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-09-17, 23:36)Lunatixz Wrote: big deal is you are buying last years hardware repackaged as this year's tech, hdmi 1.4 is so old why would anyone buy it now!

btw roku 4 supports 4k@60Hz ... they got the idea... no point in doing 4k if you are only going to only support 30Hz or 4:2:0
You do realize that all commercial video content is YUV 4:2:0 and this includes the new UHD Blu-ray. Also, HDMI 2.0 doesn't support 10-bit RGB 4K@ 60Hz. If Roku 4 has 4K@60Hz, it will be either 8-bit RGB or 10-bit 4:2:0 YCbCr.

As for the HDMI version that is supported, it has to be HDMI 2.0 because AFTV2 has HDCP 2.2 (required for Netflix 4K). It is true that it is not using the latest full speed HDMI 2.0 chip.
Forgot about Roku... their announcement should be any day now, but like before, likely not focused on local media (Kodi) streaming.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-09-17, 21:51)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 21:50)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 21:30)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 20:54)Tinwarble Wrote: I'm more interested in the new Stick.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVJAF9G/ref=ods_fs_ftvsv

I already have a SATV, and I'm not so invested in the Amazon "eco-system" that I need to replace my old AFTV. But having the new, faster Stick as a secondary device would be nice.
Hmm, I think it's the same Stick, but with software upgrade to FireTV OS 5 and Alexa.
Yep, I think you're right.

I thought they had updated the SoC in it also, but looks like they skipped that and just updated the OS.

So they [Amazon] need to get rid of the "New" in front of the stick.
They do, it's misleading.
Other than the newer OS version, the only thing "new" with the newly announced Fire TV Stick is that it ships with the same full size "Voice Remote" model with integrated microphone as the Fire TV:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVJAF9G/ref=...sv#compare

Support for the integrated microphone in that remote control means that you can use Alexa voice commands even on the Fire TV Stick.

So to upgrade your old Fire TV Stick into a "new" model you just need to buy the full size remote control model with integrated microphone and upgrade the OS, then you have all the same features.

Fire TV Stick with the "Voice Remote" now cost $49.99 but you can still order the same Fire TV Stick with the "Standard Remote" for $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVJAF9G/ref=ods_fs_ftvsv

I'm guessing the 2160/30p vs 60p issue is to allow 2160/24p Netflix and Amazon video support and to hit a price point? I don't think either operation is currently producing anything in 2160/60p are they?

All current UHD streaming for consumers is 4:2:0 2160/24p content isn't it? Bigger question is whether it supports HDR content. As Amazon are experimenting with this - I wouldn't be surprised if it did?
(2015-09-18, 09:32)noggin Wrote: I'm guessing the 2160/30p vs 60p issue is to allow 2160/24p Netflix and Amazon video support and to hit a price point? I don't think either operation is currently producing anything in 2160/60p are they?

Well this is exactly my point. I get that ppl here (naturally) are looking for highest-end hardware but splitting hairs over a spec that no content producer out there actually uses is senseless!

'Last year's tech', mate... it's ~£35.. can't expect the world...
(2015-09-18, 09:32)noggin Wrote: All current UHD streaming for consumers is 4:2:0 2160/24p content isn't it?
YouTube supports streaming Ultra HD / 2160p / 4K at 50 and 60 fps ( frames-per-second), and Netflix is said to working on getting it in a not too distant future. Also Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc and next-generation HEVC-based DVB broadcasting standard also specifies either 50 or 60 fps.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television...tv-1048954

However other than YouTube and rips there is no real-world insentive right now for Amazon (or Apple) to have their on Ultra HD media player set-top box hardware as there as almost no content out there.

Well, there is another exception; a few manufacturers of the very latest mobile phones (such as Apple's latest iPhone) does now support recording video in 2160p at 60 fps, but have no media player set-top box hardware that can playback those videos at their full resolution and frame-rate.

With these media players now having OS and app stores that supports apps which can get updated several times over their hardware product lifecycle, you just have to wait another 6-months and both Amazon and Apple might regret not not already having released hardware capable of decoding and outputting HEVC and VP9 encoded videos in Ultra HD resolution at up to 60 fps.

But on the other hard that might give an excuse to release the next-next-generation models within the next 12-months from now. Be sure to bet that Amazon Fire TV 3 and Apple TV 5 with both support Ultra HD resolutions at up to 60 fps whatever happens.
So big questions, from Some one who owns 2 x Fire TVs and 1 Fire TV Stick(not even used) few RPis (including RPi2) and Roku 3 (also few Roku XS) and using Kodi most of the time and some Amazon/Netflix content for kids (very little youtube) do I update to Fire TV 2 ? Or purchase the Apple TV 4 and hope that Kodi will be able to work ?
Running since XBMP
(2015-09-18, 16:09)yozh Wrote: So big questions, from Some one who owns 2 x Fire TVs and 1 Fire TV Stick(not even used) few RPis (including RPi2) and Roku 3 (also few Roku XS) and using Kodi most of the time and some Amazon/Netflix content for kids (very little youtube) do I update to Fire TV 2 ? Or purchase the Apple TV 4 and hope that Kodi will be able to work ?

I've got a similar setup as you and I'm not going to upgrade. The only real compelling reasons I see to upgrade is if you must have the Alexa integration, (mind you the first gen FTVs have universal voice and text search already), are going to do gaming on it, (the faster processor and additional memory will help that), or need to display some 4k content, (although as you've seen posted here, it's not full 4k @ 60fps). If you need to replace a broken FTV box, I'd say go for it. But none of these are good enough reasons for me to replace a working first gen FTV.

As far as the Apple TV goes, I don't know. I don't' have anything Apple so I have no vested interest in getting one as all my content, (apps, music, movies, etc.) are all purchased on the Android side. So I'd most likely stick with them so I don't lose that.

edit:grammar
Current equipment in my "Kodi system", v17.1:
HTPC Win 10, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvida GTX 970, 500GB SSD
Nvidia Shield TV 16GB w/ Flirc and 64GB microSD card
1st gen Fire TV Stick, (for traveling)
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Old DTV remotes, Yatse app and Logitech Harmony Smart Control
(2015-09-18, 16:09)yozh Wrote: So big questions, from Some one who owns 2 x Fire TVs and 1 Fire TV Stick(not even used) few RPis (including RPi2) and Roku 3 (also few Roku XS) and using Kodi most of the time and some Amazon/Netflix content for kids (very little youtube) do I update to Fire TV 2 ? Or purchase the Apple TV 4 and hope that Kodi will be able to work ?

Neither?
(2015-09-17, 20:26)hdmkv Wrote: +1... if you're invested in Prime, Fire TV is almost a no brainer for the price.

That's the reason I bought it immediately. Have a prime accounts, all the family vacation photos and videos in cloud that family can watch anytime. All free music thruout the home. Can't beat it with a stick and kids can use it very easily without bothering me lol as I'm definitely not techs inclined.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV 2 (4K)1