Schedules Direct, EPGs, Windows 10
Recaps, conclusions. observations

1) Creating XMLTV files with SD - The errors I was hoping to resolve per the original post/subject were resolved by creating the lineup on SD.

2) Creating XMLTV files with ZAP2XML - First off, a million thanks again to brohawk for pointing this out. Seems to be consistently working well. Not sure if I am using the right versions . Got the executable here: http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/ and set preferences here: http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/...tvschedule. First time I ran it, using the sample syntax, it took 7 minutes - wyy too long - but I later noticed the "encryption" option was set. Removing that option took about 3 seconds instead. Not sure what I am risking without encryption, but I am leaving it off for now.

3) SD VS ZAP2XML
- I am uncertain what the benefit of SD is. Its certainly cheap enough, but Zap2XLM seems to be more than adequate. I think I will stick with Zap2XML for now, and if that service dies, will then go with SD...if it is still around at that time.

4) PERFECT PLAYER - Thanks again to brohawk for pointing this out. It took some time to figure it out. Certainly a good app for manually "mapping" the M3U entries to the XMLTV channel schedule, and testing/proving they work. It can of course also be used to view content, though I prefer KODI for that to ensure KODI is always working. Two things I didn't realize at first with Perfect Player... One was that it actually edits your M3U file directly to add the tvg-id entries. Makes sense ; just glad I always keep multiple backups .Second was that (and perhaps this was my initial choices during setup), my XMLTV file was always getting overwritten. I later found there are two areas of the program to specify XMLTV filenames and I now keep those names different, essentially treating one as the source feeding PP and one as the target that PP writes to. So all is behaving better now.

5) KODI SIMPLE CLIENT
- Finally, with the above, I now see a guide. Accuracy is a whole different matter, as I may have some of the mapping wrong (eg CNN vs CNN International) , and the source of some of my channels may not be region appropriate ( eg if I am actually watching say FOX UK and my guide for FOX is based on my local city).

6) M3U Source file - This of course is the holy grail, trying to find working channels. I am not there yet. And I cringe when I find sites only to get zapped with browser viruses. I am currently building mine up starting with the large list of choices here : ***REMOVED*** . Not sure if that a "banned" site or not, or if its links are. The other caution is while they seem work for a while, they then freeze/buffer. Any KODI suggestions on how to get around that would be appreciated!

6) PVR/RECORDING - Way down the road, once everything is working, does the concept of recording still exist in a IPTV world?? That is, can you actually record/save to a program that you see in the guide that is aired at a future time? ... or it it more of a bookmark/favourite/link to that future program? I think I saw a youtube on trakt/genesis along those lines which I will have to revisit at some point.
Quote:Not sure if that a "banned" site or not, or if its links are.

Yes, that's banned. Same with Genesis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Schedules Direct, EPGs, Windows 100