help with choosing a tv box
Hello,

I am looking for a tv box for my living room. I plan to use it to:
* run Kodi
* use a torrent client to films to an external hard drive
* watch online videos using a browser app (mainly for my parents)

I am currently considering buying one of these:

1.Minix X8-H Plus: A very popular option that has very good reviews

2. TRONSMART MXIII PLUS S812: a much less popular option but this device seems to share all the specs with the first one, while costing about a third of the price.

Is the first option worth the extra money? Are there any better alternatives?

Thank you for your help in advance!
personally,I would not use any of those if all 3 cases can occur simultaneous all on same device.
- you watching a movie via Kodi from USB drive
- Torrent client downloading a file to USB drive
- Parents streaming via a browser from USB drive

I would recommend a NAS to storage your media and torrent client.
Then those devices you mentioned for media player + laptop via browser streaming from NAS.

Start here, sticky thread on first page
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-09-24, 23:36)shabuboy Wrote: personally,I would not use any of those if all 3 cases can occur simultaneous all on same device.
- you watching a movie via Kodi from USB drive
- Torrent client downloading a file to USB drive
- Parents streaming via a browser from USB drive

I would recommend a NAS to storage your media and torrent client.
Then those devices you mentioned for media player + laptop via browser streaming from NAS.

Start here, sticky thread on first page
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

That wouldn't happen simultaneously, these are the three things I would want the device to be capable of doing.

A NAS is basically any computer I'd stream videos from, right? I wouldn't want to hold a computer at home for that sole purpose only, I'd be more comfortable with having some hard disk for that frankly.

I didn't understand why I need a laptop but I really thought that I could just use one of these devices (or a different one you'd recommend) to watch w/e content: be it through Kodi or from a hard disk.

Edit: I read the post you recommended and I actually am not that sure to which category I belong.. And as to the NAS vs Hard drive issue, it just got me more confused.. This set up should be used by my parents most of the time, I do not want to make things complicated..
Chromebox.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help with choosing a tv box0