Xbox One controller support bugged
I don't know where I can report a bug, so I post here, I guess.

Basically, the Xbox One controller support on Windows 10 is bugged. In the Kodi menu, the app will scroll very quickly from one side to another, which is uncontrollable and requires me to disconnect the controller to take control again.

I tried a fix which involved uninstalling the Xbox One controller driver which comes preinstalled with Windows 10 (labeled just "Xbox Controller"), downloading the official driver package from Microsoft website, installing it and selecting a different one from the list in Device Manager labeled "Microsoft Xbox One Controller". It fixes Kodi but breaks other apps including Steam BPM, so it's effectively useless.

How can this be fixed? Games I've tested work just fine, so it's a Kodi issue. It works flawless with the Xbox 360 controller, too.

I'm running latest Isengard RC2.

EDIT: I've done a search and it seems other people have already reported this a while ago... Why hasn't there been a dev reply commenting on the issue yet? It's frustrating because I bought an Xbox One controller in anticipation for the release of the wireless dongle and, with the addition of Controller Companion app to control the Windows desktop with the controller and virtual keyboard support in older games, the Xbox One controller could be the perfect remote for a Windows 10 machine.
I am in the same boat. Windows 10, Isengard 15.2. Default XBox One controller driver that comes with Windows 10 works with Steam Big Picture, scrolls all menus at full speed in Kodi (doesn't begin to happen until some kind input is received from the controller.) Microsoft installable Xbox One controller driver makes Kodi happy, but does *not* work properly with Steam Big Picture and some games.

The culprit is the axis that is associated with the left trigger button. Kodi believes that the 'rest state' of that axis is at 50%, when it is actually 0%. Once Kodi receives any input from the controller, the axis is set to 0% and Kodi interprets that as scrolling in one direction. You can hold the trigger at the halfway point to stop the scrolling, or hold the trigger down completely to scroll in the other direction.
Linking this as well, because it mirrors my own observation precisely: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2021155
(2015-10-22, 05:45)siliciferous Wrote: I am in the same boat. Windows 10, Isengard 15.2. Default XBox One controller driver that comes with Windows 10 works with Steam Big Picture, scrolls all menus at full speed in Kodi (doesn't begin to happen until some kind input is received from the controller.) Microsoft installable Xbox One controller driver makes Kodi happy, but does *not* work properly with Steam Big Picture and some games.

The culprit is the axis that is associated with the left trigger button. Kodi believes that the 'rest state' of that axis is at 50%, when it is actually 0%. Once Kodi receives any input from the controller, the axis is set to 0% and Kodi interprets that as scrolling in one direction. You can hold the trigger at the halfway point to stop the scrolling, or hold the trigger down completely to scroll in the other direction.

If this is it then I know what's happening. I heard that MS changed the axis configuration in the Xbone controller. In the Xbox 360 the triggers' movement was combined, which made playing older games with Xbox 360 controller difficult, especially racing games since you needed the axis to be separate.

The installable driver is, I believe, for older Windows versions, and it's possible that it's because they make the Xbone controller behave just like an Xbox 360 controller, hence why it fixes the Kodi problem, but it breaks other apps because the other apps recognize the controller properly but the driver isn't sending the correct calls from the controller to the software, which is why it doesn't work on Steam.

Since garbear is working on it I apologize to the dev team for being rude in my first post.
You aren't being rude, this should have been fixed already to be honest. Not sure if it's beyond the devs abilities or if something else is the issue. Too bad we can't use the currently best controller for the PC if we are also using Kodi.
(2015-10-29, 02:32)santiagodraco Wrote: You aren't being rude, this should have been fixed already to be honest. Not sure if it's beyond the devs abilities or if something else is the issue. Too bad we can't use the currently best controller for the PC if we are also using Kodi.

Ok... Yeah, that's another way to approach it.

You find it better even than the Steam Controller? I wanted to buy one, but not interested in spending money on it if it's not that good and I can get my hands on the new wireless dongle.
Until a fix for this surfaces, hopefully the following will help some of you out.

If you navigate to the folder you installed Kodi in and then go to system > keymaps you'll find an xml file called 'joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller'. Open this in notepad or any other editor of your choosing (make sure you open the program as administrator or you won't be able to save the changes you're about to make) and then find the snippet below in the file:

<axis id="3" trigger="true" limit="+1">ScrollUp</axis>
<axis id="3" trigger="true" limit="-1">ScrollDown</axis>

Once found change the above to this:

<axis id="3" trigger="true" limit="0">ScrollUp</axis>
<axis id="6" trigger="true" limit="0">ScrollDown</axis>

Save and exit. Kodi should now stop going crazy when you try to use the One controller with it. The left and right triggers will scroll the menus.

Not a perfect fix but it should be enough to hold back the stress!
(2015-11-11, 01:07)Ollsville Wrote: Until a fix for this surfaces, hopefully the following will help some of you out.

If you navigate to the folder you installed Kodi in and then go to system > keymaps you'll find an xml file called 'joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller'. Open this in notepad or any other editor of your choosing (make sure you open the program as administrator or you won't be able to save the changes you're about to make) and then find the snippet below in the file:

Save and exit. Kodi should now stop going crazy when you try to use the One controller with it. The left and right triggers will scroll the menus.

Thanks bud! I'll check this out and see. This is a big issue for me as I use my HTPC for steam streaming and KODI (which is primary).
(2015-11-11, 01:07)Ollsville Wrote: Until a fix for this surfaces, hopefully the following will help some of you out.

Thanks that fixed the triggers, any idea how to fix the d-pad?
(2015-12-03, 11:35)spideronfire Wrote:

Thanks that fixed the triggers, any idea how to fix the d-pad?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=202869

See the pastebin xml file. You'll have to remove all your default "joystick" files in the install folder to make it work though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One controller support bugged0