Proposed New Skin directory layout
ob, basically this don't mean any changes to your skin. just a change of structure (if i've got it right?). so you just have to move your xml files in to a pal directory if your skin is designed for pal. if the skin doesn't have a specific xxxx-resolution directory xbmc will fallback to the default which will be directory yyyy. did i get it right jonathan?

what it does mean is that you can add support for other resolutions and sytems. in this way more people can enjoy the skins in the way they were designed to look. skins that most of them currently seem to be designed for pal and some for ntsc and even less for widescreen (and none for hdtv(right?)).

more work for skinners? yes if you want to add support for other resolutions. more changes? no not that much actually.
/floink
Question 
(onkel bouncy @ april 01 2004,14:45 Wrote:i think most of the skinners stopped changing their skins. now, me too.
possibly if there is a kind of final version of xbmc, but i guess this will be never happen.
actually, we are planning a skin structure freeze just after jonathan 'finnishes' this and forza finnishes settings restructure, so before 1.0 Image
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i hope so.
but you know every new feature means modifiying the skin.
(gamester17 @ april 01 2004,16:00 Wrote:actually, we are planning a skin structure freeze just after jonathan 'finnishes' this and forza finnishes settings restructure, so before 1.0 Image
this is also good for the possibly upcoming xbmc skinning tool by art.   Image
settings re-structure just committed to cvs - skin away Smile
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

not sure if you know about it, but current cvs skinhandling (or skin) is broken, only some gfx is shown.

yes i do know - it's related to the work jonathan has been doing i think. the png's in the media/pal folder are corrupt, hence they don't display. i'm not sure what was done to them or what needs to be done to fix them, but the quickie fix i did was to copy the files of the same name from the main media folder and remove the textures.xpr file. this does make the gfx show, but the ar is a bit skewed on some of them.

hopefully this'll get resolved over the weekend.

blame it on my crappy 56k modem that does dodgy stuff on upload!

i'm in singapore airport atm waiting a flight to london, and won't be back behind a dev machine for at least another week or so, so i'm afraid i can't fix it.

all that needs doing is:

1. the pal subdir in the media folder contains the images that were in the pal/media subdir.

2. once that's done, textures.xpr needs to be regenerated.

for skinners:

your skins should still work fine, once they've been updated to forza's new settings layout.

for full support, however, please move all your .xml files to a pal/ subdir, and place a skin.xml file in the root skin dir. the defaultresolution tag should be set to pal if that is what you use. you don't have to add any extra resolution stuff if you don't want to - others can do that, and once the skinning tool is finished, it can be semi-automated any way.

note that credits.txt is now in the skin.xml file if you wish your credits to show up Smile

the media/ subdir can also now have subdirs of it's own. the texture tags in each .xml file then contain the path to the texture off the media/ directory. this may help you organising textures.

hope this helps.

cheers,
jonathan

current cvs versions of both the gfx and textures.xpr are now working correctly - although anonymous cvs is still behind and probably won't have the new files for another 8 hours or so.

(gamester17 @ april 01 2004,16:00 Wrote:
(onkel bouncy @ april 01 2004,14:45 Wrote:i think most of the skinners stopped changing their skins. now, me too.
possibly if there is a kind of final version of xbmc, but i guess this will be never happen.
actually, we are planning a skin structure freeze just after jonathan 'finnishes' this and forza finnishes settings restructure, so before 1.0 Image
do you mean a 'skin structure freeze' or a 'skin freeze' ?
i hope a 'skin freeze' will happen soon for all skinners.
Huh
(onkel bouncy @ april 12 2004,00:48 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ april 01 2004,16:00 Wrote:
do you mean a 'skin structure freeze' or a 'skin freeze' ?
i hope a 'skin freeze' will happen soon for all skinners.
Huh
same thing (a 'skin structure freeze' means 'skin freeze' too, though exeption will of course always be made for bug-fixes)
30 new or changed png's and xml's in the last 9 days.
and theese are not only fixes.
sorry, but i can't see a freeze.
Huh
(onkel bouncy @ april 13 2004,15:24 Wrote:sorry, but i can't see a freeze. Huh
i said we are planning (just fyi), it's not taken in to affect yet, when it does we will publicly annouce it clearly so can't be misunderstood.

ps! btw, all those changes in the last days where planned (so to be in before the freeze start), which is what this topic was opened for.
ok, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposed New Skin directory layout0