Metadata For AVI, MP4 MPG Files
Hi,

Pardon in advance for any newbie-ness I might exhibit in posing this question.

I am using the latest release of Kodi with Windows 10. In addition to all of my movies, I am in the process of converting numerous home movies to AVI files from DVDs I have made over the years . The DVDs, all in sleeves in a binder, are labeled with the various segments they contain, "Mom's Birthday 2014", "Zach's Graduation", etc. The point of this is that you know what is on that particular DVD when you look at it in the sleeve. What I lose when I convert to AVI, and the problem that I am trying to solve, is that I don't have that info anymore if I all I have is the AVI file in Kodi. What I would like to do is have the AVI files behave in the exact way that my movies do, which have all of the info that is scraped from the MovieDB. I am basically looking for a way to manually create metadata for a AVI file so it behaves in the same way that a scraped movie does (the data it shows, click the "Play" button, etc.). Can anyone offer any advice about how I can do this?
Search the feature request subforum as Kodi has no support for reading tags from video contains today and adding it requires core changes.

The newly added FFmpeg tagloader should make adding it a little easier though I believe, see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8212
You could create NFO files for your avi, etc
http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files

Or use an app to do the work for you.
I use mediacompanion to set up my file info just the way I like it, before adding to library.
Thanks. I have created NFO files for various formats of the movies and they are not read. The NFO files are exactly the same name. I have tagged the files using MetaX, but I guess, to RockerC's point, KOdi does not support it.

Rocker C, apologies, but I am a total newb when it comes to this stuff. When you say "The newly added FFmpeg tagloader should make adding it a little easier though I believe[/b][/i]", does this mean that the feature exists in Kodi now? Is it something I need to enable, aka, an add-on?
It means the feature is being worked on, but not ready for normal users yet.
understood, thanks!
Hi zag,

My prayers have been answered; the Jarvis beta release has incorporated this functionality, so cool. I create an nfo file using Ember, and it does get read and loaded, fantastic. However, I have an issue I hope you can help me with...bear with me while I explain.

I have all the home movies files on my networked upstairs desktop. That is the computer on which I do all my work on the files, so that is where I have Ember installed and did the testing using the Jarvis beta.. On that PC, the nfo files I created were loaded exactly as intended, no problem. The LOCALLY installed version of Jarvis was used in the test.

Here's my issue. I actually have a HTPC downstairs to which we stream the files from the upstairs PC. Jarvis is on that HTPC. When I access the EXACT same file from the downstairs HTPC that resides on the upstairs PC (which I accessed successfully as I describe above), the nfo is NOT read...so when you click on the file, it plays immediately as opposed to the movie info screen popping up (I have "Show Info" as my default action). While trying to figure this out, I also installed Ember on the downstairs HTPC and created another test nfo file. This file, too, is read fine by Jarvis that is installed on the upstairs PC. However, it is NOT read by Jarvis installed on the downstairs HTPC. I hope this makes sense. Something appears to be wrong with the downstairs HTPC version.

Any idea what would be causing the HTPC-installed version of Jarvis to ignore the nfo files?

Thanks in advance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Metadata For AVI, MP4 MPG Files0