Req PVR Recordings to use "Extract Thumbnails From Video Files"
I'm using TVheadend as a backend for my TV setup and TVheadend does not extract thumbnails from recordings and send to Kodi. Which is rather frustrating... But then you have to wonder, it is just a backend to handle the tuning and recording etc.

kodi being the frontend has the ability to extract thumbnails from video files.... It does this when the option is selected in settings.

Why does this not apply to recordings? and why is there not at least an option for this in PVR recordings section? doesn't really make sense to me why kodi would rely on the addon to do so when it's already doing it for video files...

Anyways, I've seen discussions regarding this before but just thought i'd put it out there.

Cheers,
Loggio.
This is indeed a neat feature I really would like to have myself, but...

(2015-12-14, 08:50)loggio Wrote: doesn't really make sense to me why kodi would rely on the addon to do so when it's already doing it for video files...

Video files are accessed using a different api.

Unfortunately, with current pvr add-on api this feature cannot be implemented in a safe way. In order to extract the thumbnail, Kodi must tell the pvr add-on to open the recording, to seek to the location from where the thumbnail should be extracted, close the recording. Problem is, that pvr add-on api does not allow more than one active recordings at a time. So, if thumbnail extraction is triggered while another recording is playing, things will get mad. Best cast is an error message, worst case is a crash.

Unfortunately, solving this small problem is much effort. But we have plans for Kodi v18 to change pvr api to be able to serve more than one stream at a time. Then, among the feature discussed here, things like picture in picture will finally become possible.

hth.
Hopefully this will be possible and implemented with Kodi18:
Quote: FernetMenta commented on 25 Jul 2016

That is a limitation of the current PVR api in Kodi. There will be a major change of the api in Kodi v18. Then thumbnails will be possible.
https://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugi.../issues/70

Similar FR:
No thumbnail images in TV Recordings?
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=217102

Recording Thumbnails
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2251726

Thx
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Old topic I know.

In the process of testing tvh to potentially replace my tvm(osaic) setup and this feature is the only thing that keeps me from switching.

Since tvh is so far ahead on other fronts, frankly I was surprised about the empty icons on the homepage.

Really hoping this will be looked at at some point because I would love to move to a more maintained option (which will probably happen regardless Wink ).

Regards,
A.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Recordings to use "Extract Thumbnails From Video Files"0