• 257(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Since odroid n2 is a highly recommended sbc for kodi, can anyone post the recommended settings for the same coupled with a 4k tv or projector in a single post or page for every one's convenience. That would be of immense help for newbie odroid users. Thanks again wrxtasy.
Does anyone have any advice on what to get if you need something that can downscale from 4K to 1080P, and also bitstream HD audio?  I have an old Dell Chromebox 3010 that can't do it, so wondering if anything out there can do this.  I'd prefer to stay with a Chromebox since I have had zero problems with LibreElec to date.  No real budget, just want it to work like the Chromebox has for many years  Smile
(2020-12-27, 03:04)onyx00 Wrote: Does anyone have any advice on what to get if you need something that can downscale from 4K to 1080P, and also bitstream HD audio?  I have an old Dell Chromebox 3010 that can't do it, so wondering if anything out there can do this.  I'd prefer to stay with a Chromebox since I have had zero problems with LibreElec to date.  No real budget, just want it to work like the Chromebox has for many years  Smile

Are your 4K sources HDR Rec 2020 (i.e. HDR10 - which is normal for UHD movies on Blu-ray) or SDR Rec 709 (which is how some online services can provide UHD content), and are they h.265/HEVC 10-bit (common for UHD Blu-ray) or h.264/AVC 8-bit (used for some online content)?  

Is your HD display Rec 709 SDR only, or does it support Rec 2020 HDR (as some newer displays do)?

Those variables decide what codec support you need, and whether you need to just downscale (2160p/4k->1080p) or whether you need to tonemap (convert HDR Rec 2020 to SDR Rec 709) as well.  Tonemapping Rec 2020 HDR to Rec 709 SDR is never going to be perfect, as you are losing a lot of information in colour and dynamic range terms in the conversion - and some people are not that happy with the results on some platforms.
(2020-12-27, 10:47)noggin Wrote:
(2020-12-27, 03:04)onyx00 Wrote: Does anyone have any advice on what to get if you need something that can downscale from 4K to 1080P, and also bitstream HD audio?  I have an old Dell Chromebox 3010 that can't do it, so wondering if anything out there can do this.  I'd prefer to stay with a Chromebox since I have had zero problems with LibreElec to date.  No real budget, just want it to work like the Chromebox has for many years  Smile

Are your 4K sources HDR Rec 2020 (i.e. HDR10 - which is normal for UHD movies on Blu-ray) or SDR Rec 709 (which is how some online services can provide UHD content), and are they h.265/HEVC 10-bit (common for UHD Blu-ray) or h.264/AVC 8-bit (used for some online content)?  

Is your HD display Rec 709 SDR only, or does it support Rec 2020 HDR (as some newer displays do)?

Those variables decide what codec support you need, and whether you need to just downscale (2160p/4k->1080p) or whether you need to tonemap (convert HDR Rec 2020 to SDR Rec 709) as well.  Tonemapping Rec 2020 HDR to Rec 709 SDR is never going to be perfect, as you are losing a lot of information in colour and dynamic range terms in the conversion - and some people are not that happy with the results on some platforms.

Wow, thanks - that is super informative and I had no idea of the complexity involved.  Given our viewing habits I'm guessing I will need to deal with everything (i.e., HDR Rec 2020 and SDR Rec 709, h.265 and h.264).  My receiver and TV are both 1080P (Pioneer Elite SC-05 and Samsunf F8500) so I'm guessing these are basically all Rec 709 SDR, which would require the tonemapping you mention.

Taking all of this in the account, would a Chronebox with a 10th Gen Intel Processor (Ice Lake) be capable of this?  Otherwise, would I need to get something like this HDFury device ?
(2020-12-27, 18:06)onyx00 Wrote:
(2020-12-27, 10:47)noggin Wrote:

Wow, thanks - that is super informative and I had no idea of the complexity involved.  Given our viewing habits I'm guessing I will need to deal with everything (i.e., HDR Rec 2020 and SDR Rec 709, h.265 and h.264).  My receiver and TV are both 1080P (Pioneer Elite SC-05 and Samsunf F8500) so I'm guessing these are basically all Rec 709 SDR, which would require the tonemapping you mention.

Taking all of this in the account, would a Chronebox with a 10th Gen Intel Processor (Ice Lake) be capable of this?  Otherwise, would I need to get something like this HDFury device ?
I'll leave others to comment on suitable boxes - but a key requirement you have is 4K UHD HDR->HD SDR conversion - so both replay AND tonemapping performance are requirements for you.

I can't comment on the HD Fury Diva's HDR->SDR conversion quality - there is no single 'right' way of doing that conversion - as there are a number of different approaches that can be taken, each with their own merits.
Hey guys, Haven't been on the forums for ages and seems like things have developed way further. 

Anyway, i currently have Shield TV, Minix u9h running Coreelec setup around the house and got the media needs covered. I'm no hurry to update the hardware however what would be best choice when it comes to future proofing for all codecs specifically dolby vision, Atmos and 4k HDR. I'm just in process of buying LG OLED which supports DV and HDR for the living room along with Sonos gear for Dolby Atmos.

Money is not an issue however don't want to spend countless tinkering with it neither get locked down into a specific ecosystem. 

Thanks in advance.
@gurusev  Best is to buy a Sony Android TV, then you can install all apps you want, like Kodi.
A premium Sony 4K Smart TV has all onboard, like Dolby Vision, HDR and great sound with Dolby Atmos en DTS.
We have had the Shield TV, great player but now we have the Sony AG9 and all is working great!
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
(2021-01-02, 18:37)HereIsTom Wrote: @gurusev  Best is to buy a Sony Android TV, then you can install all apps you want, like Kodi.
A premium Sony 4K Smart TV has all onboard, like Dolby Vision, HDR and great sound with Dolby Atmos en DTS.
We have had the Shield TV, great player but now we have the Sony AG9 and all is working great!

Thanks for the reply mate however I'm after hardware which is not limited to one function ie TV. I'm assuming with any sort of skin ie Arctic horizon, the UI is going to be super slow hence going with the dedicated system. I'm though looking at Sony OLED aswell.
@gurusev UI of the new Sony Android TV’s are faster then the Shield TV.
And the Sony OLED gives a fantastic picture.
The question is, what you want and what you need... Wink

This may be relevant if you want to use a Shield for Kodi and bitstream highest audio:

Has the new TV an eARC HDMI port? Is it possible to passthrough audio from the Shield to the new TV and then via eARC to the Sonos Arc? The Sonos Arc needs an eARC Port from the TV for TrueHD (Atmos).

This may be relevant if you want to use a TV for Kodi:

Most, if not all, TVs have only 100MBit Ethernet. This can lead into problems with high bit rate remuxes. I read that some guys had a perfect working TV wifi, which was faster than 100MBit Ethernet.

If you only want to stream from the internet, 100MBit is enough. You won’t get TrueHD (Atmos) from Internet streams, highest given internet audio format is DD Plus (Atmos).

I have the following setup:

• LG OLED65C97LA
• Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 (connected via HDMI1 of the TV)
• Sonos 5.1.2 Arc, Sub, 2 Symfonisk Lamps (connected via eARC HDMI2 of the TV)

With the latest updates everything works as expected. HDR mkv files work fine, Dolby Vision mkv is early work-in-progress. TrueHD (Atmos) works great, and the different DTS-HD formats come up as PCM/LPCM in the Sonos App since one of the last Sonos updates. The Sonos system doesn’t support DTS, Dolby only.

I don’t use any streaming apps from the Shield or the TV itself, only Kodi.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask.

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2021-01-02, 19:56)HereIsTom Wrote: @gurusev UI of the new Sony Android TV’s are faster then the Shield TV.
And the Sony OLED gives a fantastic picture.

Do Sony OLEDs do frame rate switching in Android TV apps like Kodi yet, in the way that the Shield TV does in Kodi?  

The only apps on my Sony FALD LCD TV running Android TV that work correctly in frame rate terms appear to be HbbTV apps for UK Catch Up services like BBC iPlayer (which correctly run at 50Hz refresh on UK content), not Android TV apps like Kodi which appear to be stuck permanently at 59.94/60Hz with no 23.976/24/25/50 output possible?
@noggin I think my Sony OLED does, because all apps are working fine.

@hoppel118 The new Sony TV’s have eARC HDMI and play all kinds of audio HD, like Dolby Atmos.

I have here also 100MBit ethernet on the TV, but all 4K content, also with TrueHD is playing fine.
(2021-01-03, 18:53)HereIsTom Wrote: @noggin I think my Sony OLED does, because all apps are working fine.

Apps will work - but if you watch 25Hz or 50Hz content and the TV sticks at 59.94Hz you will see judder (If you have MotionFlow enabled then this may mask those artefacts, but people who want to watch a clean picture as unprocessed as possible will always disable MotionFlow. After all you never see displays with MotionFlow in TV Control rooms, Edit suites or Grading suites...)
Hello;

I'm thinking of buying the ODROID-N2+ 4GB CoreELEC Edition.

Is there a "out of the box" remote whit keyboard that will work with it?

I currently have a minix u1 and is remote, will this remote (the one for minix u1) work with the odroid?

Thank you all.
Hi all,

I am going to upgrade my pc to be able to play all video formats like 4k and HDR Formats and HD Audios.  Can anyone tell me if there is a GFX card out that supports this and HDMI2.1 or a CPU that can do that without a GFX maybe and i could look into a GFX later on.

using window 10

thanks
  • 257(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28