START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hello all.

I am in the market for a media player for a family member.

Since I originally set up my own XBMC box back in 2012, there has been a huge surge in products for installing XBMC/Kodi on. Back then it was either buy a net top PC, and ATV or make a self build HTPC. I have a Acer net top PC running Openelec and it works perfect, playing every MKV/video file I throw at it.

I want to be able to repeat this performance on one of these modern devices, but I've absolutely no idea where to start. I've had a read of the OP but the discussion of file types and codecs etc has me confused.

Simply put, I want a device that can play high bitrate MKV files, such as 4gb TV episodes or 12gb movie files, without issue. No 'unsupported file type' errors, no glitches such as episodes randomly stopping, or pressing rewind or forward taking you back to the beginning/end of the file. Just smooth, issue free playback. It just has to be user friendly and work for this very specific purpose.

It doesn't need wireless capability, streaming, apps etc, just 1080p/5.1 high bitrate MKV playback from an attached 1TB USB HDD. It doesn't even necessarily have to be Kodi, a quality regular media player that is user friendly would be acceptable.

They currently use a Bluray player but it's very sketchy in what it plays and how well it plays these files.

I am in the UK, my budget is around £40. Is this possible and if so, could you provide a recommendation please? My head is spinning reading up on all the devices and now I find that many devices have fake reviews.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2016) - by Sharpey - 2016-04-24, 12:10
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28