START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-04-27, 10:40)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-04-27, 03:46)wrxtasy Wrote: What are interlaced DVD's again ? Wink
(2016-04-27, 09:31)noggin Wrote: What are standards again? Wink

I'm still amazed that something which is such a long-standing standard has been a problem for so long across multiple AMLogic platforms and still hasn't been fixed by them. If this was a Pi it would have been fixed very quickly.
I agree, but I'm surmising there will be more consumers out there wanting a platform supporting 8/10-bit Hardware decoded HEVC than an old Interlaced DVD standards. No matter what the source of video content.
I guess so - though, I guess, as it HEVC has no relevance to the content I play, other than a couple of 2160/59.94p and 50p test clips for nerd value, it's irrelevant to me for day-to-day media playing.

Quote:
Quote:Yes - the C2 is incredibly quick if you run it from eMMC - though the eMMC cards are pretty expensive (an 8GB eMMC costs almost as much as a Pi3...)
8GB eMMC was $18 last time I checked here, if you want speed it works well:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...5622510341

If you want that in Europe it is nearer €24-30 once you include VAT from a local stockist like pollin.de or liymo.

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/OTA2OTgxOTk...droid.html
http://www.liymo.com/mc-odroid/mc-odroid...&order=ASC

I don't disagree about it being great - just that once you start putting an 8 or 16GB eMMC in a C2 you are moving away from Raspberry Pi 3 + 8GB uSD card price points and closer to x86 territory.
Quote:
Quote:The AML S905 SoC, like you see in the C2 will get a whole lot of developer support, both in Android and OpenELEC / LibreELEC going forward as WeTek are about to release their S905 line of products as well. Any minor annoyances now will likely get fixed reasonably soon for this chipset.
(2016-04-27, 09:31)noggin Wrote: You say that - and Wetek have been very good - but how long has the interlaced DVD issue (which is a pretty significant bug) been rolling on for. I'd love to recommend the Wetek Core - but when it can't play a standard DVD it's pretty difficult to.
A bunch of us simply don't care for old Interlaced DVD, or have an old DVD player if the need ever arises to put the Grandfather slippers on and sip some Whisky, get drunk and laugh out loud whilst watching Blackadder ! Wink

Yeah - but some of us do - and it isn't just old TV series. If you watch music concerts - whether classical, operatic, ballet or pop, rock or country - a large number of them will be shot interlaced, and the DVDs released interlaced. I have quite a lot of music DVDs in my collection - across many genres.

It's not just old 70s and 80s BBC shows like Monty Python or Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy... Though any platform that can't play those is deeply suspect... Wink

I do have a DVD player - but the whole point of Kodi and my unRAID server was convenience. What's the point if you have to have DVDs on the shelf to play them ?

(And isn't the C2 currently PCM 2.0 stereo only in reality - as the DD/DTS is unusable because of the drop outs?)

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
RE: Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2016) - by noggin - 2016-04-27, 11:07
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28