START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Looking through the options at the top of the thread I didn't see one that fit my scenario and I'm not up to date on the newer things like LibreELEC etc so I need a little help from the experts. This is for a bedroom build to replace an old laptop that is dying. Here's what I need:
  • Libraries are on a NAS so the box just needs wifi access to pull in the Kodi content, so it won't need much local storage
  • I have a basic AVR (Denon 1513) and 5.1 setup in the bedroom, I don't need 4K support, just 1080p over HDMI will do fine
  • My other machines on the network are running W7 and I have an available license for that OS so that would be an easy setup for me. But I'm not adverse to any other OS options (but I used to have Ubuntu and Windows on the same network back in the XBMC days and that was a pain to get it all working together I recall). As long as it's easy to get everything to play nice together, I'm fine with any OS option
  • We have an HDHomerun on our network for streaming live TV so that's a must to integrate.
  • We need support for popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify etc. We usually just watch these in a browser window.
  • Right now I have a Logitech Harmony 250 to control all the components and a wireless keyboard for the computer

Looking for an affordable option that will work well, is easy to setup and wife-friendly. Thank you very much in advance, you guys are always a great resource

EDIT: After doing a bunch of research this morning I'm thinking an Intel NUC might be a good option for me. It looks like you can really dial in how high tech of a build you want. I'm curious how cheap I could go with what I need it for? Would a bottom of the line NUC with a celeron etc do it for me?

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov 2016) - by snafu7x7 - 2016-11-13, 16:42
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28