START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
@aian, It really does sound like you got a bad batch of Shield Hardware with all those problems you have outlined. Lightning has actually struck twice on your occasion unfortunately it seems. Lemons do happen with any Hardware product.

The Shield may just need a minor tweak of its Kodi/SPMC deinterlacing settings for DVDRips to playback correctly.
I would Start tweaking here and play with the Deinterlace method and then "Set as default" if it all works properly. YADIF 2x would be fine for DVDRips.

So for 1080p and something that Simply Works with minimal Setup hassle:
  • ASUS Chromebox, the standard 2GB one.
  • or if you need 10bit 1080/2160p Hardware HEVC decoding support the ODROID C2 with 8GB eMMC Flash
Both running LibreELEC Kodi.

Any USB Hard Drive attached to the C2 would need its own power supply for reliability. I've only tested an old 2.5" USB one that did not work when directly plugged in.
A more modern power efficient USB3 one may work as it will draw less power.
The Chromebox would be fine out of the gate for USB power.

And then for a Plug & Play - responsive Wireless remote controller - a MINIX A2 Lite, Mini Keyboard combo. This is a quality remote, built for Big Blokey hands. Wink

If those solutions do not work I would definitely say it's the encoding of your video files that needs to be investigated. Or there is some unknown external glitch like supplied power causing multiple problems.

If that Chinese Android device you have there already is of the AMLogic S8xx or S9xx family. Flashing LibreELEC Kodi to it (or to a Samsung/Sandisk Class 10 SD card) would very likely sort out all your problems as well. Details of DIY LibreELEC are over here:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

Best bit of advice. Unless you really need the Android OS for something - ditch it completely and run LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov 2016) - by wrxtasy - 2016-12-04, 03:23
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28