START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-03-16, 20:20)kwest12 Wrote: So, I read through this thread along with a number of others. I've also done reading at other communities and done some googling. I guess I'm just sort of floundering with paralysis by analysis right now. There's so much information about Kodi, the different hardware options, the different types of output, the different addons, etc, etc, etc, etc, that it has left me more confused than when I started. I guess I'm here in hopes of some guidance so I can get back to researching and deciding.

Content desired: I would like the following in HD if possible (4K would be amazing, but unlikely, I assume.)
  1. Live sports - specifically, NFL, UFC, NHL, MLB, Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, Belmont Stakes
  2. Non-Live TV - I'm sure I can find anything I want in this realm, so I'll skip it.
  3. Live TV shows - Game of Thrones, HGTV (SO watches this channel almost 100% of the time if she's by herself,) Olympics, World Cup, New Years Eve coverage

My setup:
  • I currently have a small crappy TV, but will be investing in a mid/high end LED 65" 4K (most likely HDR capable) set shortly
  • I also will invest in a soundbar, or maybe two speakers, but probably not a surround system, unless I find one for unexpectedly cheap
  • I have Netflix and will continue that subscription unless it's silly to do so - I'd like to have it provide the highest quality available when I get the 4K set

Usage needs:
  1. I can handle some technical setup - my tech capacity and ability is intermediate (ex: I've been rooting, romming, and heavily modifying/customizing my Android phones since the days of the DroidX, which game out shortly after the OG Droid - prior to this, I played around a lot trying to optimize my windows machines)
  2. I need the final product to be simple to use - my S/O who has minimal tech skills or desire to mess with things needs to be able to use the interface and find what she wants easily. I'd like a solution simple enough to setup for my parents as well.
  3. Low maintenance after initial setup. I don't mind doing manual updates and maintenance now and then, but from using custom ROMs on my Android phones, I've learned that I prefer not to keep going back and overhauling, or reworking everything on a monthly, quarterly or even semi-annual basis.
  4. Low lag - I hate slow scrolling
  5. Future proof (as much as possible at least.)

Most likely hardware choices: After reading, it seems like these are the most likely candidates to achieve what I want
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (very attractive price, apparently simple usage and low maintenance)
  • Amazon Fire TV 2 (attractive price, seems perhaps a bit more hacking-restrictive, might do a couple things better than the Mi Box)
  • nVIDIA Shield (less attractive price, more powerful than the previous two, and may handle 4K stuff better - also might be only option for HDR?)
  • custom-build windows computer - essentially this would be a full fledged desktop build with unusual components like particular graphics cards, an IR receiver, and specific chipsets that will handle the different sorts of video / output -- this might be outside my technical ability, as I've never built a computer before

Questions:
  1. If you were in my position, what would you do?
  2. Are there any parts of my wishlist above that are simply unachievable?
  3. What considerations am I overlooking based on what I've written?
  4. What are the most important things I need to read up on still to make my decision?
  5. Any other guidance or suggestions?

I'm not going to claim to be an expert (far from it), but I've owned the following devices to use for Kodi since 2007/2008 (in order):

- Custom built HTPC with Windows (high end specs for the time)
- Small off-the-shelf ITX computer with Windows (Intel Atom powered)
- 2 rooted FireTV's
- 1 rooted FireStick
- Custom built HTPC with LibreELEC (same computer as above, just ditched Windows for OpenELEC, then LibreELEC)
- Small off-the-shelf ITX computer with LibreELEC (same situation as above)
- Nvidia Shield

I was in a similar situation as you in regards to needing a high WAF, and the only boxes that my wife didn't constantly complain to me about (and subsequently I would need to tinker with) were the boxes with LibreELEC and the Shield. She now uses the Shield on a daily basis without any trouble, and in the rare event that something goes wrong, the interface is simple enough that she can reboot the box herself, and that 99% of the time fixes the problem.

My advice to you would be to stay away from Windows if you don't a) want to tinker and b) want a high WAF.

In regards to which LibreELEC box to get, I couldn't help you with that, but I can't recommend the Shield enough. Works great with my new 4k OLED TV, and have been using it since 2015 with almost 0 problems.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2017) - by feerlessleadr - 2017-03-16, 23:02
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28