START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
CPU's are virtually irrelevant - when ARM based Chipset media players can hardware decode everything using powerful inbuilt VPU's.

Individual Android App choices need to be researched by users themselves - this is a Kodi forum - we are not going to do that work for you !

For 3D - well read Post #1 - the listed devices are all there and then ask questions in the individual Hardware threads about exactly what is needed particularly for 3D MVC or ISO support. Be aware the Q5/10 Pro and Zidoo's do not have the necessary DRM and Netflix approvals for paid HD / 4K streaming. This included HBO, Amazon etc...

Easiest to use Android devices that actually get decent Firmware support - Shield and the Mi Box.

4K HDR content - the nVIDIA Shield as it can use HDR Netflix and Amazon Apps.

Best Kodi only devices - LibreELEC Hardware.

Best budget Krypton - 4K HEVC (H265) / HD Audio devices - the LibreELEC S905 & S905x family, as everything is Hardware decoded in a very competent, silent, power efficient HDMI-CEC compatible package. These cheap devices are recommended till HDR and Dolbyvision is fully bedded down and more HDR or DV content is actually available.
Expensive Kodi devices are frankly useless if you cannot feed them Video content to actually use their Hardware capabilities. There is always cheaper hardware just over the horizon.

I would not rely on Kodi Krypton for Live TV when using any Android device. You can however use the Live Channels - Android TV App on the Mi Box and the Shield - and that works a lot more reliably for OTA TV Streaming.

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton only for PVR Client - interlaced Live TV reliability.

Self built Intel HTPC's are expensive for Kodi only (non 3D) use - HDMI 2.0 - still is not reliable on the Intel "Lake" series hardware either due to using a patched together Displayport - HDMI 2.0 implementation. I'm not even sure if HDMI-CEC is working properly. I seriously doubt it is as good as free PulseEight HDMI-CEC support we see on LibreELEC RPi and AML S905 platforms.

Intel does not have a monopoly in the media player space - in fact they are lagging, far behind. Now we have powerful, cheap ARM Chipsets available with half decent Firmware for (non 3D) media player usage only.

Mainline / Modern - Linux Kernel testing is about to commence for AML S905 LibreELEC devices too. I expect an explosion of projects once that is bedded down simply due to the fantastic bang for the buck.

Personally I would leave Android devices for Android Apps only, which is what they are very good for. And use LibreELEC Kodi for reliable, always on 24/7, appliance like - no nonsense seamless Kodi use only. Use the strengths of both OS platforms without too many compromises.
Trying to do it all on one box is where demanding Kodi users come unstuck.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2017) - by wrxtasy - 2017-03-17, 04:35
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28