START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Android tv boxes are computers, low powered computers, but computers all the same. So you should look at the hardware, The more ram in the computer, the better the computer will perform. The larger the the drive, the more storage you can use on the computer. This applies to both the built in drive MMC and the SD card you can insert. Because the power supply is usually only two amps, that is barely enough to power the tv box and most likely will not power an unpowered external drive or hub. If you attach a powered external drive or hub, turn the power on to the external drive or hub before powering up the tv box.

My experience with a 2GB ram tv box was unsatisfactory, KODI ran with some problems, like on a large sized movie over 5GB, the tv box would restart once in a while. With a 3GB ram tv box, it ran very well, but I still have to attach a powered external drive or hub before powering on the tv box, then power up the drive or hub, then power the tv box. I use a powered hub and four powered external drives and the tv box can access the external drives with no problem.

The newer the version of Android in the box makes a world of difference too. Running Android 6 and KODI 17.1 is a very good combination, but I also recommend 3 GB or more of ram, from my experience.

I think Smart tvs are not a good buy. You will save money buying a tv box and upgrading every couple of years to get newer hardware and the latest version of Android, than trying to upgrade a Smart tv.

BigJRM
These views are from my experience, so I wish you the best of luck with your decisions.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2017) - by BigJRM - 2017-04-08, 05:57
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28