START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-05-12, 18:01)fortunebogi Wrote: What I don't understand is what is better in Vero 4k in comparison with a 4K Android box that costs around 50£ in regards to the picture/sound quality of Kodi playback. I am sorry for my lack of technical knowledge but from my view I have seen Kodi streaming video in 1080p without any problems with such boxes (or even on an Amazon stick 1st generation) so I am trying to understand what is it that makes it worth it to spend the extra money to buy the Vero 4k.

(2017-05-11, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote: e) Buy any old cheap AML S905(x) Android Box, do your own research, roll the dice over what will actually be delivered and how hard it is to setup, particularly for LibreELEC WiFi support and HDMI CEC. You are not paying much anyway.

Please read the LibreELEC AMLogic sub-forum. Be aware these problems have been reported every now and again with Chinese AML devices:

a) Fake RAM reported due to a doctored Linux Kernel device tree's in Firmware - boxes sold as 2GB when they are only 1GB
b) Poor Infra Red only remotes - highly directional.
c) Lack of Linux WiFi drivers on newer boxes - WiFi does not work at all in LibreELEC on some - no help from the Manufacturer either.
d) U-boot can produce strange HDMI CEC results at times - same with putting the box into standby.
e) No reset button on some boxes, to initiate the very first LibreELEC bootup.
f) Chipset Heat Sinks are usually not well engineered at all.
g) All AMLogic S912's have no Linux GPU video drivers - the hacked together Android ones used for LibreELEC have serious problems.

Even if I gave you a Named Chinese Box, the chances are different batches of boxes will contain slightly different Hardware - depending on how cheap internal components were that week in the factory. Its really pointless naming anything cheap.

I'm not exaggerating by telling you how bad and highly directional Infra Red remotes can be on the majority of these Chinese Android boxes. This can be very frustrating when using Kodi and button presses are continually missed - if you don't line up the remote with the box exactly. Sad

With the more expensive Brand name AMlogic devices you are paying for higher quality hardware, better WiFi, better Wireless remotes. Hardware componentry that is all the same and LibreELEC works exactly the same on every box from the manufacturer.

As I said you buy something cheap and roll the dice - that always comes with the bargain basement marketplace.
Some people are willing to do just that to grab a bargain and put up with whatever issues they may or may not encounter.
They want to get their hand's dirty's with some DIY and are happy doing it.

Others just want something that works reliably and is Plug n Play - especially with a fully Integrated and compatible Wireless remote that you get with some of the more expensive boxes. The MINIX U1 for example has the best 2x2 MIMO AC WiFi of any S905 AMLogic box.
MINIX actually have quite decent, large chipset heatsinks - ODROID as well.
This is all properly engineered - and you have to pay for it. You pay extra for Gigabit Ethernet controller chips as well.

The more expensive Android boxes will have superior Android Firmware too. Boxes like the WeTek Hub / Play2 will even give you up to 1080p/4K Android TV - Netflix and proper DRM for other paid for streaming Apps - all in an easy Dual boot - Android / LibreELEC setup. All these extra features are not found on dirt cheap AMLogic Hardware.

As you move into mainstream Hardware from the large Multinational Media companies - Apple, Amazon, nVIDIA, Intel etc, with numbers sold in the Millions - you actually get properly engineered devices, that have been through a vigorous testing process for safety and reliability.

Hardware like the Amazon Sticks and FireTV can even be sold at cost or a slight loss - all designed to make consumers spend money with their own companies online services. But this will give you Kodi incompatibilities as those types of boxes are a pretty closed system due to Amazon wanting to protect their Ecosystem territory.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2017) - by wrxtasy - 2017-05-12, 20:31
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28