START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-05-12, 20:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Others just want something that works reliably and is Plug n Play - especially with a fully Integrated and compatible Wireless remote that you get with some of the more expensive boxes. The MINIX U1 for example has the best 2x2 MIMO AC WiFi of any S905 AMLogic box.
MINIX actually have quite decent, large chipset heatsinks - ODROID as well.
This is all properly engineered - and you have to pay for it. You pay extra for Gigabit Ethernet controller chips as well.

The more expensive Android boxes will have superior Android Firmware too. Boxes like the WeTek Hub / Play2 will even give you up to 1080p/4K Android TV - Netflix and proper DRM for other paid for streaming Apps - all in an easy Dual boot - Android / LibreELEC setup. All these extra features are not found on dirt cheap AMLogic Hardware.

Great, now I finally understand why I should be looking into a branded S905 AMLogic box rather than a cheap one. The reason I was confused was that I thought that all the S905 AMLogic boxes are the same device. Now I understand.

What is not clear to me is the difference in running Kodi on Android, LibreELEC or on an Amazon device. Can you please explain this as well? Will it have an effect on the video/audio quality?

So for example what would be the difference streaming video on Kodi on the MINIX U1 device as it comes out of the box (Android) and after I flash LibreELEC on it.

Additionally I understand how Amazon stick/tv is a closed system and I have installed Kodi on my old Amazon stick which stoped working (restarts at random times) with my new tv (maybe it is the extension usb cable?).

What I am trying to decide now is:

a) Spend 120£ to get the Vero 4k box.
b) Spend 80£ to get Amazon FireTV2.
c) Spend 100£ to get MINIX U1 and then keep it as Android or flash LibreELEC.

Just to remind you that I have a new smart tv so using the native apps for Netflix and Amazon video, therefore only need this box for Kodi.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2017) - by fortunebogi - 2017-05-12, 23:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28