START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-09-26, 22:25)fishbones Wrote: I read most of this forum post and I am still unsure as to which device to choose.
Newbie of course but work in the Information Technology field for 25 years.
I am considering cutting the cord and I am looking to replace what I have, live TV, new channels etc.
Can someone point me in the direction for the best build for this scenario?
I am also considering a paid service, IPTV, Youtube TV, hulu etc. I have prime currently. Thanks.

Start off by thinking of it as a labour of love. Busmans holiday, relaxation from the grind of your job etc etc (by the way I have over 30 years IT experience and currently manage a network of over 11,000 devices). You will never find perfection but will love the challenges it brings.

I started off with an Enigma2 box and a motorised satellite dish a few years ago. Tweaked that until the Openvix image and Sky skin were my preferred choice. And that was that.

I have bought four S905/X 'Kodi' boxes over the past couple of years. Knackered one in totally 'playing' with it and bricking it (yes really!!!) and another just died on me. Currently have a S905 and a S905X device - searched Amazon and got a cheap one from there (one of them has DVD-S connection and I played around with TVHeadend as a direct replacement for my satellite box but wiped it and just using it as straight IPTV.

People will have differing opinion on the actual configuration of course. I am using Libreelec as my o/s with Kodi Krypton 17.4 and up to last weekend Aeon Nox skin (it is really customisable). But wiped my box at the weekend and ended up with Aeon MQ7 skin which I think is awesome. Actually feel I now have a setup I am happy with. I have shares setup to my PC 'server' where box sets and videos are stored plus another share to my music collection. Also got IPTV (not endorsing it of course!). Only 'bug/anomoly' is that I also use a service which sits in the middle between my M3U IPTV link and provided my a fully working EPG. But this isn't displaying under Aeon MQ& (yet!)

So I'd get a cheap S905/X device and play around to your hearts content. Ypu are looking at under £40. Then if you are hooked go for one of the more expensive devices that allows hard disk connection for recording.

Maybe as a tip start off by installing to a USB stick. Most the cheap devices come with Android with a Kodi option. Use something like Rufus to create a bootable USB stick and boot from there. I ended up flashing to the internal NAND which totally wipes Android (thank god) and I boot up form this rather than internal but there are (slight) risks doing this.

Above all have fun.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated September 2017) - by archercj - 2017-09-27, 09:06
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28