START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-04-02, 11:12)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-04-02, 06:51)SkOrPn Wrote: One last question, is the M8S Pro a bad device for some reason I can't seem to discover? DDR4, Widevine Level 1, ATV etc, almost seems to good to be true.
Not that I'm aware of. Seems a decent device these days.
Just be aware there is No 4K Netflix on boxes with unofficial Android TV devices - you do get 4K YouTube if you manually resolution switch in Android settings before hand.

The only S912 box I know of with L1 DRM and HDCP 1.x plus a Gigabit ethernet port is the MINIX U9. Gigabit is needed for skipping around high bitrate 4K video.

I think nearly all the very recent MECOOL S905X / S905D / S912 devices are running an unofficial manufacturer supplied Nougat - Android TV out of the box these days, if not there are plenty of decent AMLogic ATV ROM's on the Freaktab website you can easily flash with the simple inbuilt Update App.

Freaktab is the Website to go to keep up to date on those sort of AML Android (TV) devices.

@Verdana, I'm not really up with Kodi Addons on various devices. It's simply too hard to keep abreast of these things.
I do believe Milkdrop might be a Windows only Visualisation.

Users really have to ask in hardware threads before purchase to be 100% sure.    
Agreed about the asking in hardware threads. I asked questions in the minix threads just yesterday myself, and in the videomapit forums (for my shield tv) to see if that 3rd party rom had better pq than the stock rom, but I now realize I won't be getting proper leanback apks working with that rom. I wish a really good developer would take the shield tv and LineageOS TV 15.1 (oreo) and really make that combo work with better PQ, but maybe that device is lacking driver support?

I tried very hard to see if someone had a hacked Netflix apk for the Freaktab roms for the M8S (it's only benefit is the cheaper price tho), but I think my best bet is going with the U9-H because the support from both MINIX and the dev community feels a lot more solid, kinda like Wetek's, and I like what I am reading in jj-qwiks thread so far. Your paying twice the price for a more premium overall experience. If I didn't have to have per app VPN control (and great PQ) on Android and the leanback apps, all my decision making would be much easier. Netflix works better for me if I NOT have a VPN connected, but for some reason Youtube is utter crap without PIA vpn connected to the California servers. My streams almost max out the connection when I connect to California (mainly the silicon valley servers), but if I connect to ANY other server including my ISP directly and in the late mornings and afternoons my Youtube is 360p hour after hour after hour until around 7pm, which then it is just spotty in and out of HD. Re-connect back to that California PIA server and I get instantaneous 4K streams 24/7 solidly. I spent hundreds or more hours (actually many years now) troubleshooting the issue and testing 3 different vpn products/services only to realize my ISP must either throttle youtube during the day or their routing to those servers suck. Either way I have to go with what works whether it makes sense or not. lol I am addicted to hundreds of youtube channels and all of them are big channels with 4K cameras.

Thanks for all the information, it helps us make informative decisions...

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated February 2018) - by SkOrPn - 2018-04-02, 20:57
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28