START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-02-10, 21:53)hawkeye27 Wrote: I am all for DIY.....
....I don't have a preference on OS.  Booting right into Kodi with LibreElec/OpenElec sounds nice.  If it is Mac/Win/Ubuntu and launches Kodi automatically that is fine as that is what I have now.

I do not want to deal with a laggy UI.  I do want it to be VERY stable.  Hopefully that helps.  I know there are a lot of options here!

Ultimately the smoothest GUI is the Apple, Intel or AMD NUC type route, but you have to pay $$$

DIY, non laggy interface, boot straight into LibreELEC Kodi Leia (in 16 secs) = WIP - Rockchip RK3399 devices running LibreELEC Kodi Leia

Has the most powerful SoC package vs any other ARM Single Board Computer or cheap AMLogic Android device on the market.

Even tho such devices do not come in a nice case, they are so small you can hide them and simply plug in a Wireless USB Mini receiver dongle remote like a MINIX A2 Lite and you are good to go. Uses so little power you can leave on 24/7.

All you need to use is eMMC 5.1 Flash storage (and its microSDHC adapter) for a nice snappy Kodi box.
Also has HDMI-CEC support (which Intel/AMD misses out on) and runs a stable v4.4 Linux Kernel at the moment.

It's WIP tagged because v5.x Linux Kernel support is currently being added along with HD audio and full HDR support.

You are getting near NUC like performance, due to the ripper Mali T860 GPU plus fast Dual Channel RAM & eMMC flash storage at a bargain price !

And everyone thought I was an AMLogic or Apple only man Wink

The other really stable DIY option is the 'ol SDR only - ODROID C2 with quality eMMC flash storage.
Easily CPU and GPU Overclocked for extra snappiness because it packs a quality heatsink.
Again use a USB Mini dongle receiver Wireless remote.
Can even be powered from a TV's USB port.

Currently in the process of getting a v5.x Linux Kernel added this year. It's about 3/4 complete.

W.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018) - by wrxtasy - 2019-02-11, 04:03
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28