START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Apple TV 4K = No 4K Youtube due to Apple not supporting Google's VP9 codec. Use a 4K Smart TV for that. No Kodi.
However most powerful media player on the market. Most use the MrMC or Infuse Apps instead, both of which support Plex servers. MrMC even has a Plex Skin.

Meecool KM3/KM9 = No Gigabit Ethernet, see Android TV Device Comparison Table. (click) Slower vs the Shield.

Nvidia Shield = does all that you require, just not 4K HDR Youtube, use a 4K Smart TV for that.

In the Android TV space nothing is as fast as the Nvidia Shield, the next best is the Mecool KM3. A Ugreen USB3 > Gigabit Adapter could be added to the KM3.

For Android devices mentioned only the Nvidia Shield has Kodi / Plex auto refresh rate switching for nice smooth video playback.
Excluding Youtube the Apple TV 4K has the best auto Frame Rate Matching for Apps.

Suggestion: If buying a modern 4K Smart TV, use the Apps on that and simply buy a CoreELEC capable Kodi media player, and then run PlexKodiconnect Addon on that. If Plex support needed.

Bang for the Buck for CoreELEC are the GigaE LAN equiped devices - Odroid N2 or the 4GB/32Gb X96Max (click)

Add a Plug n Play - MINIX A2 lite remote to those two and you are good to go.

Quote:Also unrelated - but I would like to move from nuc server to some internet hosting - do you see any real world disadvantage apart of the hassle of selling the NUC (server) - for me everywhere I would watch there is internet.

Most use a home Plex server, for streaming on the go outside the house.

You might be interested in the Cloud file streaming support the Infuse Pro App has on an Apple TV 4K. Infuse is one beautiful slick App. Smile

Kodi also has a Google Drive Addon, there might be others:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Google_Drive

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2019) - by wrxtasy - 2019-09-06, 04:50
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28