START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-10-22, 19:15)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 18:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-22, 15:54)huoc Wrote: Hi All,
I am struggling between the ODROID-N2 4GB CoreELEC Edition and the Vero 4K +
- I have a gigabit LAN NAS for movie and music storage
- I would like to play the best quality music through hdmi (flac 24/192)
- I currently own a 1080p projector, planning to upgrade to 4K in the near future, so I would like to play my movie rips in the best quality

The Vero looks much better and as far as I have read it is PnP right out of the box.
Can you please help which one is OK for me?

4K meaning HDR ?

There is one thing that is really important if you are going to be using a 4K HDR projector that has it's own auto Tone Mapping.
Yes Auto Tone Mapping projectors do make a difference for 4K HDR if fed correct data.

And that is MaxCLL/FALL HDR Infoframe data.
A bunch of info about that found in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2823690

Also you may want to pay close, particular attention to the Projector link in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2864863 and read about Vero 4K+ HDR usage with those display devices.

I will let you make up your own mind.

Quote:- I do not want to tinker, I would really like an out of the box plugnplay system that updates itself automatically, etc.
I read that the ODROID has stronger HW, but I do not know how much you have to tinker with it, also it doesnt look good Smile

ODROID N2 CoreELEC Edition = unpack from box, slide supplied microSDHC card into front slot, slide top cover on.
Plug in cables and power ON. Job done.
The CE OS will even auto update for you when there are new stable updates avail.

Also get a wireless MINIX A2 lite - Plug n Play remote, because it mini keyboard comes in real handy after long term Kodi usage for Kodi keyboard shortcuts and Kodi data entry. Batteries last 8+ months with the A2 lite for daily use. Smile             

Just to clarify: The 4K + does output MaxFALL/MaxCLL under the 4.9 kernel which will be released in the next update. We have moved to 4.9 as it is an LTS kernel and will help us maintain our software update commitments until 2023.

It may be worth updating that information when the update is generally released             
Thank you for the answers.
I already own a keyboard+airmouse, it is not Minix, but Rikomagic RKM. I used to have an Intel+Win10 based HTPC with Kodi.
I tried to understand the linked posts, but without digging myself really deep I dont think I can fully comprehend all the info.
I will most probably (99%) get the Optoma UHD40. "The UHD40 is only capable of recreating the smaller Rec.709 colour space, meaning that while the projector can accept HDR content, it’s unable to fully show off the true range of colours available." - this is what I found, I dont know if it is relevant Smile

so, to summarize my criteria:
criteriaOD N2V4K+
play from NAS via LANxx
play hi-res audio via HDMI(24/192 flac)xx
7.1 Audio, DTS:X, Atmos, etc. newest surround sound formatsxx
Air mouse+keyboard (minix, etc)xx
fully PnP out of the boxxx
Auto update, tinkerless, carefreexx

At first glance it seems to me both are OK, but I know the devil is in the details, that is why I asked on the forum. And you already mentioned something regarding HDR (but it seems that will be OK as well for both). Are there other differences I should take into consideration?

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated October 2019) - by huoc - 2019-10-23, 01:06
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28