• 227(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-11-03, 08:00)wrxtasy Wrote: 8K really at this point in time is all about bigger Numbers marketing and TV tech chest thumping.
Neither home storage, media players or the Internet's infrastructure is really ready for 8K yet. 

Unless you live in Japan - where NHK are already running an 8K scheduled service, and where 8K PVRs and TVs have been on sale for a while. (The Tokyo 2020 Olympics will be covered in 8K)
(2019-11-03, 05:14)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 01:19)magkaki Wrote: Hi and thanks in advance for the help. I am a newbie in Kodi and i would like to ask you something.

Hi & welcome to the Kodi forums.

No need to post the same questions in multiple threads.
Quote:I just bought an LG OLED 65E9 tv the very best of the best with 2.1 hdmi ports, dolby vision support and all the new tech stuff.

Nice 4K HDR DV TV - I just bought it's competitor, a 65" Panasonic GZ1000U - that is the most picture perfect and color accurate OLED out of the box ! Smile
Quote:I dont have a budget limit in my mind so money are not a problem. I want to buy a tv box for KODI 4k HDR 10bit movies streaming from the internet (and 1080p of course). Most of the movies i like to stream from internet and maybe some from local drives.
I dont want to have much problems with auto frame rate switching and color space. I want to be as much plug and play it can or with the least user intervention.

Yes Plug n Play is always good. WiFi or Ethernet ?

Be aware we will NOT help you with support for Illegal video streaming from the Internet.
There are Kodi forum rules that prohibit discussion about that.
Quote:I am looking well NVIDIA`s new tv shield but i am reading some stuff about colorspace. I am very confused.

For all the 2019 4K HDR DV - Shield Pro hype - it has been released with what we would classify as Beta Firmware with broken (auto) color outputs when watching mixed 4K HDR and then 1080p SDR video content. This really is disappointing from Nvidia for a new, expensive retail product.
Quote:I don't care too much for the local drives and Netflix-Youtube issues cause my TV has already these apps working very well (dolby vision-youtube hdr) and i can play hdr content from my TVs usb ports . Can you please suggest some tv boxes or can you tell me if i buy Nvidia TV shield will i be ok?
Can i do the job with Shield? I like Android very much but you can tell me you opinions.

Yes well the Shield is the best Android TV device on the market if you really like Android. The most powerful Android TV device as well.

The 2019 Shield in it's current state for will NOT be OK for seamless mixed SDR and HDR video viewing, if you want Plug n Play without problems. It does not have "Auto" everything working properly.

Nvidia have said they will fix Firmware bugs like they always do - it usually takes time, sometimes quite a while. Shield users quickly learn to be very patient.

But be aware - with Nvidia's current track record - they have been breaking important features in Shield Firmware with every major Google OS upgrade. eg Android Nougat > Oreo > Pie.
And that is the problem with Android - it's OS is inherently unstable. It's slowly getting better. Slowly.

If you only want to use a fast, well sorted out, virtually problem free - SDR / 4K HDR & HD audio - Kodi device, that works properly out of the Box it's hard to go past the Hardkernel - ODROID N2 - CoreELEC Edition (click)...
and then you also buy a seperate MINIX NEO A2 Lite - wireless Mini Keyboard remote to control it. (A2 lite has it's own included USB - RF receiver dongle)
I also recommend an additional purchase - 16GB eMMC flash module (Linux or Android does not matter) if you want an even faster N2 - Kodi device.
WiFi module 5A if AC WiFi is needed.
That is it for Plug n Play.

Wireless Mini Keyboards come in real handy for Kodi text input and searching.
There are also Kodi keyboard shortcuts you can use: https://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls  

thank you VERY MUCH for the reply!!! i have some more questions now Smile lets say i buy ODROID N2. It will come with coreElec preinstalled. Untill now the only way i know how to install kodi is via googlestore. After i open the app, i am going through a Greek team setup process (from inside KODI) and i download their build through Settings-File Manager-Add Source , i put their https://**** site and i go to addons-install from zip file and i download their Kodi Leia 18.4 build-repository. After that i restart kodi and everything is ready. Their skin, their addons everything. Is it the same process for CoreElec like Android or different? If i buy this box it will have already Kodi Leia 18.4 inside or i have to go through i big maze to achieve the goal? I am gonna work with ethernet to have the best speeds so i dont think i will buy Wifi Module. And about 16GB eMMC flash module Linux or Android, why it doesn matter that this memory has Android OR Linux? Isnt it just a storage expansion? If i buy the coreelec edition i can run a different OS from the eMMC flash module? The site also tells that i need eMMC Module Reader or USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer to flash or update the OS of the eMMC Module? Which one? Is it easy to put this memory on ONDROID or not? Thank you very much
(2019-11-03, 18:04)magkaki Wrote: If i buy this box it will have already Kodi Leia 18.4 inside or i have to go through i big maze to achieve the goal? I am gonna work with ethernet to have the best speeds so i dont think i will buy Wifi Module. And about 16GB eMMC flash module Linux or Android, why it doesn matter that this memory has Android OR Linux? Isnt it just a storage expansion? If i buy the coreelec edition i can run a different OS from the eMMC flash module? The site also tells that i need eMMC Module Reader or USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer to flash or update the OS of the eMMC Module? Which one? Is it easy to put this memory on ONDROID or not? Thank you very much 

When you buy Odroid N2 CoreElec Edition you get a uSD card with installed CoreElec 9.2.0 which contains complete Kodi 18.4, so no need to install Kodi.

The easily installed eMMC flash module on N2 is the ONLY internal storage memory on this SBC, there is NO other internal storage like on regular Android boxes. That is the main difference between "closed" boxes and "open" SBCs.

You'll need an USB to eMMC adapter for PC use only if you need to flash any other OS than CoreElec on it. With CoreElec installed on uSD card you can do that without an USB to eMMC adapter. Simply insert both media to N2 and when CE boots (uSD card has priority) you simply SSH to the box and run command "installtoemmc" which will execute a script that transfers your whole uSD installation to eMMC, making a clone copy. All in detail explained here.
(2019-11-03, 18:39)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 18:04)magkaki Wrote: If i buy this box it will have already Kodi Leia 18.4 inside or i have to go through i big maze to achieve the goal? I am gonna work with ethernet to have the best speeds so i dont think i will buy Wifi Module. And about 16GB eMMC flash module Linux or Android, why it doesn matter that this memory has Android OR Linux? Isnt it just a storage expansion? If i buy the coreelec edition i can run a different OS from the eMMC flash module? The site also tells that i need eMMC Module Reader or USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer to flash or update the OS of the eMMC Module? Which one? Is it easy to put this memory on ONDROID or not? Thank you very much 

When you buy Odroid N2 CoreElec Edition you get a uSD card with installed CoreElec 9.2.0 which contains complete Kodi 18.4, so no need to install Kodi.

The easily installed eMMC flash module on N2 is the ONLY internal storage memory on this SBC, there is NO other internal storage like on regular Android boxes. That is the main difference between "closed" boxes and "open" SBCs.

You'll need an USB to eMMC adapter for PC use only if you need to flash any other OS than CoreElec on it. With CoreElec installed on uSD card you can do that without an USB to eMMC adapter. Simply insert both media to N2 and when CE boots (uSD card has priority) you simply SSH to the box and run command "installtoemmc" which will execute a script that transfers your whole uSD installation to eMMC, making a clone copy. All in detail explained here.

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will buy and if I have problems I will come back again.
(2019-11-03, 19:00)magkaki Wrote: Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will buy and if I have problems I will come back again. 

Don't come back here, rather sign up in proper forum and ask help there: https://discourse.coreelec.org/ Wink
Hi,

After a few months of thinkings, I just decided to delay my TV upgrade and keep my Sony full-led SDR 1080p.
But a lot of recent TV shows and some movies are only available in x265, 1080p or even 2160p HDR .... and my rpi3 can't handle it !

What is the best candidate for replacement ? 
I have to say that I own an Odroid C2, and to my opinion, it's not a good alternative (too many crashes, softer upscaler than rpi, audio not perfectly sync depending on source, chapters skipping not as fluid as rpi, white list doesn't see all my tv resolutions...)

The Odroid N2 is very popular here, seems to be the main coreelec target, has a good upscaler... but is it as stable as rpi ?
Otherwise, the RPI 4 libreelec should be soon mature enough, right ?

I also considered the ATV 4K, but both OS and MrMC/Infuse/Plex are too restrictives (need to use the atv remote for a good experience, harmony button mapping is not possible, skins, ...)
Too bad, it's perfect in picture quality, ease of use and third party app (netflix, mycanal, ...) otherwise.

The nvidia shield is not a candidate neither: poor upscaling, audio out of sync, crashes, no auto refresh-rate on third party app, ...

I also tried the Amazon Fire stick 4K, but interlaced TV or dvd rip is a no go.
(2019-11-03, 20:13)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 19:00)magkaki Wrote: Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will buy and if I have problems I will come back again. 

Don't come back here, rather sign up in proper forum and ask help there: https://discourse.coreelec.org/ Wink 
One last very last question. You write that i will need a USB to eMMC adapter for PC use only  to flash any other OS than CoreElec on it. What if i need to flash new version on CoreElecHuh Do it need the USB to eMMC adapter in that case or not? Doed CoreElec updates it self automatically through the internet like Android or i need the adapter? I am asking you because i am about to buy so i need to know what should i include to the package Smile
(2019-11-03, 22:40)magkaki Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 20:13)Sholander Wrote:

One last very last question. You write that i will need a USB to eMMC adapter for PC use only  to flash any other OS than CoreElec on it. What if i need to flash new version on CoreElecHuh   

Then you flash it to uSD card, set it up to your needs and then run again "installtoemmc" to clone uSD card image to eMMC.

Btw, CoreElec stable versions have OTA system auto-updates, which can be set to manual with notification that update exists. If you decide to run "nightly images" then auto-updates cannot be disabled...

And, I did buy an USB to eMMC adapter, and use it when I want to try/run different OS than CE on eMMC, like Android which works best on an eMMC card. There are several Android images for N2, 32 and 64 bit. You can find all about those here.
(2019-11-03, 21:28)mika91 Wrote: The Odroid N2 is very popular here, seems to be the main coreelec target, has a good upscaler... but is it as stable as rpi ?

N2 with CoreElec 9.2.0 stable release is more stable than anything yet on RPi4, and more potent, and more expensive Wink
(2019-11-03, 23:18)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 21:28)mika91 Wrote: The Odroid N2 is very popular here, seems to be the main coreelec target, has a good upscaler... but is it as stable as rpi ?

N2 with CoreElec 9.2.0 stable release is more stable than anything yet on RPi4, and more potent, and more expensive Wink

Agreed CE in the N2 is stable, what’s more the Odroid N2’s passives heatsink is the best on the market.

RPi4 is in an Alpha software state by comparison. It’s no where near mature. See this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2879140

The SuperScaler only works when you activated via ssh and it has some side effects, but OK for SD materials.
PS: Same upscaler works in the cheap S905X2 and S905X3 too.
(2019-10-24, 22:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes via Petitboot. Research the HardKernel forums about that and the HardKernel WiKi.

You can select either SD card or eMMC Android with the A2 remote to boot to either OS.

OK, i read on Hardkernel, but i would like to get know if understood correct.

1. I can buy N2 with preinstalled CE i.e. from here:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n...c-edition/
Here i get N2 in case with power supply with CE on SD card. CE is not really preinstalled on N2?

2. What i need to buy more is Android on i.e. eMMC card like this, i.e. from here:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/16gb-emm...2-android/
Adapter is not needed?

3. Next i read on hardkernel wiki i can upgrade Petitboot (using SD card with SPI switched to eMMC):
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot
But its said on site: "This instruction is suggested only when you have Petitboot which can boot from SPI flash memory"
It means i should have Petitboot installed previously. Is Petitboot really preinstalled on N2?

4. After somehow i install/upgrade Petitboot, i can plug eMMC with Android, SD card with CE.
I can change boot OS from SPI selector.
If selector i set to SPI it means that Petitboot runs and i can choose SD (CE) or eMMC (Android) using remote?

Is anything elese i should have? I already have Airmouse H1 instead of MINIX A2 lite.

Thx.
(2019-11-04, 21:36)Juno Wrote: 3. Next i read on hardkernel wiki i can upgrade Petitboot (using SD card with SPI switched to eMMC):

Read that part again, because Petitboot (which is the only thing preinstalled on N2 in onboard 8MB flash memory) upgrade is done via an uSD card with SPIswitch in SPI position (left), NOT in eMMC position (right).

@wrxtasy will answer the rest Wink
(2019-11-03, 23:05)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 22:40)magkaki Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 20:13)Sholander Wrote: Don't come back here, rather sign up in proper forum and ask help there: https://discourse.coreelec.org/ Wink     
One last very last question. You write that i will need a USB to eMMC adapter for PC use only  to flash any other OS than CoreElec on it. What if i need to flash new version on CoreElecHuh    

Then you flash it to uSD card, set it up to your needs and then run again "installtoemmc" to clone uSD card image to eMMC.

Btw, CoreElec stable versions have OTA system auto-updates, which can be set to manual with notification that update exists. If you decide to run "nightly images" then auto-updates cannot be disabled...

And, I did buy an USB to eMMC adapter, and use it when I want to try/run different OS than CE on eMMC, like Android which works best on an eMMC card. There are several Android images for N2, 32 and 64 bit. You can find all about those here
hi again! have you checked this? maybe they fixed the colorspace issueHuh https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...e70a180511
(2019-11-05, 00:04)magkaki Wrote:
(2019-11-03, 23:05)Sholander Wrote:  
hi again! have you checked this? maybe they fixed the colorspace issueHuh https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...e70a180511   

Hmm, I think you mixed up something.., I write here about Odroid N2 not about Nvidia Shield...
  • 227(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28