START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2020-02-10, 09:46)Mount81 Wrote: Hi there!

Regarding Odroid N2 and VIM3(L): I'm curious about the Android and the desktop Linux options. What are the available best official(?) and third party options, how usable/stable and snappy are those in general, and in some details:

You really need to spend some time over on the HardKernel (and Khadas forums) forums if you want details of ODROID N2 / VIM3 images available and functionality that have really nothing to do with Kodi.

ODROID-N2 Forum (click)

I can answer N2 specifically:

Quote:Android:
Working AFR in some way?

No you have to use a AFRD helper App, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2891405

AML chipsets running Android Oreo 8.1 or greater ---> Android Kodi audio is limited to 2.0 PCM, 5.1 DD/DD+ DTS, DTS-HD HRA (v. rare).
There is No other Android HD audio support.

Quote:Best Video Player app options?
App, meaning Android, MrMC works pretty well as does Kodi.

Quote:Proper DLNA and UPNP support for casting apps like Bubble UPNP and Yatse?
If Kodi supports it I see cannot see why it will not work.

Quote:Miracast or any other Screen Mirroring option?
Probably a 3rd party App needed.

Quote:Proper Google Play/Store support?
There are options and images for all that.

Quote:YT apps like Smart YT TV and YT Vanced working as expected?
SmartYouTube works, no idea what Vanced is.

Quote:Stable enough FW for simple and casual (non 3D) games?
Linux:
How usable for desktop PC like purposes?
Internet browsing and YT?
See HardKernel forums for specifics like Hardware acceleration within Linux desktop.
I suggest S922X / A311D chipsets only if doing Linux desktop duties. 4GB RAM too.

Quote:Regarding CoreELEC: So how does this SuperScaler function really works and with how good quality results?
I use CoreELEC Kodi and leave SS off (default setting). It can be easily re-enabled if you want to play around.

This is because CE Kodi does auto Resolution Switching anyway to enable my 4K TV to upscale all non 4K content, including Kodi's 1080p GUI.

My 4K HDR 2019 Panasonic OLED has excellent AI Super Resolution upscaling that is better vs any cheap media player.

The one thing I have noticed is N2 Anti-aliasing is slightly better vs the Apple TV 4K. Both have good quality upscaling.
AML chipsets that include - G series ARM GPU's have excellent quality hardware deinterlacing (CoreELEC)

The ODROID N2 can dual boot via it's Petitboot functionality too. Triple boot might even be possible.

You could have an Android image on fast eMMC and then a Linux Desktop on USB3 SSD , plus CoreELEC on a USB3 stick:

Petitboot (click)

In the end the Overarching thing is great N2 - aftermarket support by both the vendor and community driven 3rd parties.
That leaves you with a lot of Flexibility to do what you want.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated January 2020) - by wrxtasy - 2020-02-10, 13:43
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28