START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2020-04-08, 05:56)therippa Wrote: It's probably been asked before on this thread, but it is loooong and old, so I'm asking (maybe) again:

I currently have a dedicated HTPC for Kodi.  It's well equipped with a Pentium Gold G5500 and a GT 1030 and plenty of ram (this is the second HTPC I've built, I've been running Kodi HTPC's for about 6 years now).  I'm running Windows for HDR and easy audio passthrough support for Atmos.  My problem over the last couple of years is, on a seemingly quarterly basis, videos suddenly become very finicky in Kodi, as in suddenly a tv show I watch in simple 1080p/24 will start stuttering until I mess around with resolution settings, or suddenly giant 80gb 4k/HDR rips will start stuttering.  I spend a few hours updating drivers, tweaking settings, reading old forum posts, and I can get it to work again.  Meanwhile, if I open the same file giving me problems in VLC, it plays just fine. Also, because of HDMI handshaking issues, Windows freaks out everytime I turn the TV off because it thinks it lost a "monitor".

And I'm sick of it.

I want a solution, money be damned, that will just check the following boxes:
- Play whatever I throw at it - be it an old blu-ray rip or a giant 4k/10-bit HR/atmos file, without skipping frames
- Be powerful enough to let me use the Aeon Nox skin, which I've come to love over years.
- Handle the IPTV streaming needs that happen three or four times a year because my wife likes watching the Grammys/Oscars/etc live

From everything I've read here and there over the course of the last year, the Vero 4k+ seems right for me.  I don't mind tinkering with things though (to a certain degree, now that I have a 7 month old and a toddler, so I'm limited on how much time I can spend on this, hence why I'm done with the Windows HTPC experience), and it seems the N2 with CoreELEC might do these things slightly better.

So I guess I have two questions:
1. Does the Vero 4k+ check all my boxes?
2. And is the N2 worth the extra hassle?

That would work for the 4K+, but it's worth being aware that BD-J menus won't work. You can still select the feature film though and other menus will work. That restriction applies for all ARM based platforms.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2020) - by Sam.Nazarko - 2020-04-08, 06:21
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28