START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2021-01-26, 13:46)daydr3amer Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:55)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 12:41)daydr3amer Wrote: Hey, thanks for your reply, but maybe I was not clear enough in my question. While it would be nice to have Netflix and Kodi running on one device, it is more important for me to run the other services and Kodi on the same device. If its not possible to run linux applications on Android TV, then Android TV is a no go for me.. Though I wasn't absolutely sure if thats the case and included them in my question.

Or maybe I didn't understand you quite right, `install CE to sd card & boot from android when you want it` - CE stands for CoreELEC? - that would mean linux. Is that possible with the Amazon Fire TV box, too? Google couldn't help me ad hoc, but that would fulfill all my needs I think, if operating it isn't too tricky. 

I have a Fire TV Stick here, so the idea with a NAS running my other stuff could be a good one, too. My only concern would be that the storage might run out when having a super large library
I don't think there is one device to run everything. To have sonarr etc & kodi on one device, I think you need to build another htpc. I think qnap used to run kodi, but not anymore. You can't run linux apps on android tv. 

CE coreelec, is linux, but a cut down version, it's basically kodi, you might be able to run sonarr via kodi addons, I don't know. With CE you install it to sd card, that can then run kodi & compatible addons. You then remove the sd card & it will boot to android. 

You cannot install linux on a fire tv or shield. 

As for running out of storage, it depends on your needs. You can get 12 bay nas & 16TB hard drives. But these are expensive. A synology nas is nearly plug & play, you have packages for sonarr, etc

An advantage of a nas is the low power consumption. so a nas for storage & running the linux apps & a fire tv for playback.

As for running out of storage I meant the library metadata stored on the Fire TV Stick.. And as long as you can ssh into CE it shouldn't be a problem to install whatever you want there, even if it's not a Kodi addon. So currently I'm wondering what the best solution would be.. Also for my first question, would the ODROID be powerful enough to run some services besides Kodi?

NAS with VM running services - Fire TV with Kodi App and Netflix -> probably most expensive and traffic intense but most convenient
Android TV device dual booting with CE-Kodi and Android TV-Netflix - Storage directly attached via USB Hub -> feels hacky and could break apart easily I guess
ODROID N2+ running services and Kodi - Fire TV for Netflix -> is it powerful enough?
Custom HTPC running services and Kodi - Fire TV for Netflix -> expensive and would need intensive research on hardware, so not really preferred

For me, I don't want a hacky duel boot thing. I have multiple clients, for non-techie family that can watch tv, netflix and media all from kodi, so it needs to be easy and all in once place, hence kodi with plugins.

So for me it's a case of the best boot to kodi box, which can play netflix 4k from inside the plugin. Anyone able to confirm this on a device they have?

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - by moamoa - 2021-01-26, 14:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28