START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I thought I'd chime in here with my experience.  
I have a 2017 Shield TV box running both a Tvheadend server and client (Kodi).  I use a HDHomerun Quatro network tuner and have a USB 3.0 hard drive connected to the Shield for recordings.  I have also successfully run the Netflix add-on in Kodi but no longer have Netflix.  
Tvheadend currently works good on my Shield but I wouldn't recommend running the Tvheadend server on the Shield as a plan forward for someone else.  The author that ported the Tvheadend server to the Shield is MIA.  If it ever breaks there is no support.  And if you have problems unrelated to Tvheadend causing the Shield to lockup or need a reboot you will lose any recordings in progress.  Right now I'm having DRM problems with the Shield and it's been recommended I try a system reset.  Having to reinstall Tvheadend on the Shield will be a PITA.  And Tvheadend loses track of previous recordings after a reinstall.  
I'm considering getting an Odroid C4 to be a dedicated Tvheadend server running CoreELEC.  I want something that keeps chugging along reliably.  It should work with my HDHomerun Quatro and USB 3.0 hard drive but I'm a little concerned about how responsive it will be.  The Shield Tvheadend setup is pretty snappy for skipping, etc.  I might try using the C4 as a Tvheadend server/client to see if that is any better.  And my NAS needs are pretty basic so if/when my WD MyCloud NAS dies I might try connecting another hard drive to the C4 as a simple NAS.
2019 Shield TV Pro with Tvheadend Client (Kodi) | Ugoos X3 Cube with CoreELEC as a Tvheadend server
Samsung UN65JS8500 TV | Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver | HD Homerun Quatro Tuner

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - by RKCRLR - 2021-01-27, 00:58
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28