START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2021-01-26, 18:34)moamoa Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 18:18)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 17:48)moamoa Wrote: On the CE one, it will need to decode the stream in software, which it like PI it will struggle to do in 1080p. What you may need to do is go into your My Addons -> VideoPlayer InputStream -> InputStream Adaptive
and change the max resolution to 720, which it should be able to handle in software. I think it needs to be very good hardware to handle the software widevine in 1080. The Pi can't. But 720 looks surprisingly ok on Netflix.

Did the shield play a 4k stream via the plugin ok?
Fantastic, by adjusting the inputstream setting it now plays ok. Did have to tweak the audio delay. 

In Kodi netflix plays ok, I have 4k tv, left inputstream at max.

Thanks for this, I thought I was coming on helping someone, & end up being helped myself.
On my setup I've not had to adjust the audio for Netflix. my satellite was a little out on audio, so for that I had to bring it in a little. I think that's always a bit variable by hardware and source.

If you watch one of the Netflix shows that can be streamed in 4K does actaully show it's rendering it in 4k. Does it look 4K? It's not just upscaling a 1080p Netflix stream?

I think pressing 'o' (for Output) on kodi, shows an overlay on the screen showing info about the source. If I play an esp of season 6 of house of cards for example (which the plugin say is a 4k show) the overlay say 1280x720 which would be right on my PI as that is what i've set the max to. I'm just curious to know it's actually rendering full 4K from the plugin on the shield. Maybe it's totally obvious for you to see on the TV. I don't have a 4k tv yet, so I don't know.

And glad i could help! Smile lol this forums often work both ways. Often found stuff I didn't even know that I didn't know here! Smile

That's good to know, it appears to run full 4K DRM content from within the Kodi plugin. So, I think it's probably fair to assume that it will work in a similar way on the other 4K Widevine L1 devices which are Netflix 4k certified. I have about 5 clients currently on PI's which I'll be looking to upgrade. So Shields for all is going to be a pricey solution! Smile In my case, I am only intending using them as Kodi clients, they will have no backend stuff as all that lives on my main Server, so I don't want to pay for more than is needed just to achieve 4k DRM.

The UK price for a;
Standard (non pro) 2019 Shield is about £150
Xiaome Mi Box S, about £55
Amazon Fire Stick 4K, about £40
Google Chomecast Ultra, £50

I don't think there are any other significant options that at Netflix 4K certified.

If just using this as a 4K Kodi client, it does feel the Shield is over priced since it is over specified and featured for those needs. I have a feeling it will be a much better device that the others, but only worth it if using it to it's full potential, which I will not be, as to me it's just a route to 4K DRM content. So it would appear for me, it's between the other 3.

Of those, the lack of USB ports make me pulled towards the Mi Box S. Main reason being, remote/keyboard. After much searching and trying different things I have found the best remote/keyboard to be the Wechip, it has a nice normal remote on once side, keyboard on back, and an IR power for turning other TV on/off, so all in all is good fit and it currently on all my PI clients. So could continue using those if I went the Mi Box way.

Does anyone have any comment regarding the pros/cons of the last 3 or any I may have missed?

I am basing this on installing a launcher app, and having them all boot to Kodi. I assume all support this?

Comments guys? Smile

So, I'm guessing (assuming) each of that could be set to autoboot into Kodi?

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020) - by moamoa - 2021-01-27, 12:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28