I'll probably get tossed for asking this, but...
I know there are very specific rules here, and I am asking a very general question... but I am somewhat new to Kodi and we just bought a beautiful new Samsung HDTV... I have a tuner box for my satellite TV, and I want to use Kodi too, but I also want to record, and somehow, I want to avoid getting a TV tuner and setting up a Windows/Linux box too ... I am not new to Linux, and I see that you can actually dl Kodibuntu, which says that can be put on a USB drive. The Samsung HDTV is connected to my DSL line, can I somehow run the Kodibuntu (or Windows, for that matter) on my 128-gig jump drive when it's plugged into the back of the TV, and if so, will that have access to the DSL through the TV? If the answer to the first question is no (does the OS need to be powered, is that the problem?) the second answer is moot.

For some reason I am having trouble with this logically - probably because, though I've build two dozen PCs from scratch and I know OSes well, and I used to use a satellite card through my PC - I can't figure out this problem. Apologies for asking.
No an OS needs a computer to run on. It can't simply run on a hard drive.

If you TV runs androidTV you can try the android version of kodi directly on the TV, but it won't record from your Sat box.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Short first answer:

No
-----

And yes, it's the problem, that the TVs OS can't do it, or saying otherwise...there is no Kodi version for your TV and there never will be.

TBH If you really have build dozen of PCs and know several OSs well, then you could have answered the question yourself.

Ask yourself following questions.....in which way is the OS of the TV open to add additional software? Which OS is it? Does a Kodi version for this OS exist?

If you want Kodi on a TV get something Android-based like Sony or Phillips nowadays. While using those you are able to install Kodi for Android via the Google PlayStore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'll probably get tossed for asking this, but...0