[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
(2015-12-31, 12:48)FernetMenta Wrote: Some months ago it was me who suggested different treatments of the various platforms but it was rejected. Ned's response:

For major long-term planning, yes, I didn't like your idea. It probably wasn't a bad idea, though. To be honest, I was more worried you were just attacking Android as a platform.

For a temp fix (I think it's reasonable to view this as a fix) before a release, that's different, IMO.

EDIT: and for the record, this wasn't actually rejected by the team. Rather, it was simply not necessary. You had proposed putting Android on this other "tier" or dropping support for it for the next few major releases, due to the video player changes. It looks like that was premature, and that you and Koying were able to get things working without doing that.

Quote:We can bring this discussion up again but certainly not in beta 5 stage short final to release.

I kind of agree with you, actually. I thought it was weird that a Jarvis audio passthrough thread popped up in the Android forum, because things were already in beta. If it were up to me, if I were a release manager, I probably would not have encouraged this.

However, it seems that other people in Team Kodi decided to try it anyways. So now the work is done, has been shown to be reasonably stable, and is being proposed at a time when Kodi is being released more often (both major and bug fix releases). Even if I thought it was too late in the cycle, there would be other people who felt differently. The consensus can change in a group.

It was felt that this was important enough; to bring Android in-line with other platforms, especially due to the massive user demand. Not everyone in a team has to agree, but they should respect each other enough to compromise. It means sometimes accepting flawed things so that people don't have to wait forever for the fix. You once tried to explain that to Elupus, when he objected to one of your PRs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Android pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!!! - by Ned Scott - 2015-12-31, 13:14
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3