• 22(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
To the Emby users how fast does Alexa process your commands? Pause and stop are fast, but play movie commands seem to take a few seconds to process...

(I'm using AWS)

Sent from my HTC6535LVW
I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems acceptable to me considering the disk need to spin up on my unRAID. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my HTC 10
(2016-10-31, 21:52)fonzie Wrote: I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems acceptable to me considering the disk need to spin up on my unRAID. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my HTC 10 (typie typie)
How many seconds does it take to process for you? I'm on Unraid as well. Takes about 3-5 seconds

Sent from my HTC6535LVW
(2016-10-31, 22:03)newoski Wrote:
(2016-10-31, 21:52)fonzie Wrote: I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems acceptable to me considering the disk need to spin up on my unRAID. I'm happy with it.

How many seconds does it take to process for you? I'm on Unraid as well. Takes about 3-5 seconds

Sent from my HTC6535LVW (typie typie)
I wonder if library size plays a roll. Going to experiment tonight

Sent from my HTC6535LVW
(2016-10-31, 22:05)newoski Wrote:
(2016-10-31, 22:03)newoski Wrote:

I wonder if library size plays a roll. Going to experiment tonight

Yup, that's definitely it. Either library size or Unraid. I believe it would be the library size, but I have no plans to copy tons of files to local media to test.
(2016-10-31, 13:55)jingai Wrote: I assume it's Jarvis then, so it could potentially be a bug in a) Jarvis, b) the SPMC fork, or c) the Android port.

After all this it is working perfectly today so not sure what was up yesterday
I do know that Amazon's certificate expired yesterday and went some period before it was renewed. I don't know how that would cause your particular symptoms exactly, but perhaps it's related.
Is there anything that can be done to speed up how fast Alexa processes commands with a large library? Is this a current limitation in the coding or is it simply how fast Alexa can process data?
(2016-11-01, 15:22)newoski Wrote: Is there anything that can be done to speed up how fast Alexa processes commands with a large library? Is this a current limitation in the coding or is it simply how fast Alexa can process data?

Faster hardware, LAN/WAN connection, etc?

My server is an i7-4770K with media on a soft (Linux) RAID6. I have ~9000 shows, ~2000 movies, ~1500 music videos, and ~25000 songs. My library is in MySQL and the client machine (Kodi) is a 2011 Mac mini connected over gigabit ethernet. My WAN connection is 150mb/10mb cable.

My queries take ~150ms to complete. Total round trip (Echo -> Amazon -> Kodi) I've never seen above about 500ms, with most being in the 300ms range.

edit: two more points I forgot to mention.. the MySQL library is on an SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) and I am self-hosting the skill.
(2016-11-01, 15:27)jingai Wrote:
(2016-11-01, 15:22)newoski Wrote: Is there anything that can be done to speed up how fast Alexa processes commands with a large library? Is this a current limitation in the coding or is it simply how fast Alexa can process data?

My server is an i7-4770K with media on a soft (Linux) RAID6. I have ~9000 shows, ~2000 movies, ~1500 music videos, and ~25000 songs. My library is in MySQL and the client machine (Kodi) is a 2011 Mac mini connected over gigabit ethernet. My WAN connection is 150mb/10mb cable.

My queries take ~150ms to complete. Total round trip (Echo -> Amazon -> Kodi) I've never seen above about 500ms, with most being in the 300ms range.

edit: two more points I forgot to mention.. the MySQL library is on an SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) and I am self-hosting the skill.

Interesting... I'm using Emby for my database. I'm hardwired with Cat6 for the entire setup. My cache drive is a Samsung 850 Pro. My CPU is an Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1276 v3 @ 3.60GHz

Where are you self hosting? On your local server or elsewhere? Your library is much bigger, so I am hoping this is a problem I can solve...

Where can I look at the time it takes for the data roundtrip?
(2016-11-01, 15:45)newoski Wrote:
(2016-11-01, 15:27)jingai Wrote:

Interesting... I'm using Emby for my database. I'm hardwired with Cat6 for the entire setup. My cache drive is a Samsung 850 Pro. My CPU is an Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1276 v3 @ 3.60GHz

Where are you self hosting? On your local server or elsewhere? Your library is much bigger, so I am hoping this is a problem I can solve...

Hosting the skill on my own server (Apache2+mod_wsgi).

I haven't ever used Emby, but just a quick glance at their site suggests to me that it shouldn't cause any speed issues. My understanding is that it syncs the libraries, so you're effectively using Kodi's built-in library when browsing/making requests.

You should check the logs on the server where you host the skill to see where the bottleneck is. Just look at the timestamps on each line from startup to shutdown and it should be obvious what's taking the most time. If you have trouble figuring it out, feel free to post the log here, but make sure to scrub out IPs/passwords.
(2016-11-01, 15:49)jingai Wrote:
(2016-11-01, 15:45)newoski Wrote:
(2016-11-01, 15:27)jingai Wrote: Faster hardware, LAN/WAN connection, etc?

Hosting the skill on my own server (Apache2+mod_wsgi).

I haven't ever used Emby, but just a quick glance at their site suggests to me that it shouldn't cause any speed issues. My understanding is that it syncs the libraries, so you're effectively using Kodi's built-in library when browsing/making requests.

You should check the logs on the server where you host the skill to see where the bottleneck is. Just look at the timestamps on each line from startup to shutdown and it should be obvious what's taking the most time. If you have trouble figuring it out, feel free to post the log here, but make sure to scrub out IPs/passwords.

I'm using AWS Lambda for hosting... not sure I can look at logs there
(2016-11-01, 15:57)newoski Wrote: I'm using AWS Lambda for hosting... not sure I can look at logs there

Should be able to see your logs at https://console.aws.amazon.com/cloudwatch/
(2016-11-01, 16:17)nawo69 Wrote:
(2016-11-01, 15:57)newoski Wrote: I'm using AWS Lambda for hosting... not sure I can look at logs there

Should be able to see your logs at https://console.aws.amazon.com/cloudwatch/

Here's what I'm seeing:

15:09:35
START RequestId: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Version: $LATEST

lambda_handler: applicationId=amzn1.ask.skill.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

on_session_started: requestId=amzn1.echo-api.request.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , sessionId=amzn1.echo-api.session.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

on_intent: requestId=amzn1.echo-api.request.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , sessionId=amzn1.echo-api.session.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Requested intent: PlayMovie

Playing the movie the dark knight

Sending request to xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx:####

15:09:46
the dark knight

Sending request to xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx:####

Sending request to xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx:####

15:09:47
END RequestId: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15:09:47
REPORT RequestId: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Duration: 11602.53 ms Billed Duration: 11700 ms Memory Size: 128 MB Max Memory Used: 21 MB

-------

From that, it looks like the lag is really introduced coming back from Amazon to my Kodi box via DDNS. Any suggestions?
The JSON call, VideoLibrary.GetMovies, is taking somewhere between 10 and 11 *seconds*. I couldn't tell you why, but that is how long it took Kodi to process and return the data.

Do you have a really, really slow uplink...?

You might put Kodi into debug mode, try the request again, and then examine the Kodi log to see if it's actually spending 10 seconds getting the list of movies, or if it's the act of sending the results that's the issue.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15