• 42(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
@cabl, did you use wordpad or notepad to save your .ENV file. if your on a windows machine, you must use notepad, and save it as .ENV, if you use wordpad (like I did) it will save and .ENV but will still be a lamba file, after savign with notepad, you will notice it will change to .ENV file. Try that and see if it helps.
See this image, it helped me figure it out.... no region error happens because the .ENV file is not being read.. just my thought anyways...

http://imgur.com/a/dc3cw (from a previous poster that helped me out)
(2016-12-09, 20:52)TearDrop1319 Wrote: @cabl, did you use wordpad or notepad to save your .ENV file. if your on a windows machine, you must use notepad, and save it as .ENV, if you use wordpad (like I did) it will save and .ENV but will still be a lamba file, after savign with notepad, you will notice it will change to .ENV file. Try that and see if it helps.
I was editing with notepad++. I left for work a little while go. I'll double check when I get home tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935V
OK...was really rather excited when I saw this and some of the examples that people have set up.

I have following the instructions to the letter but when I'm testing things using the service simulator anything I try comes back with "The remote endpoint could not be called......." and so on.

UK Based, but using the EU-WEST1 location....set as English UK when I started.

Skill enabled on my Dots.

Tearing my hair out here as really want this to work
@jouster, can you access the endpoint in a web browser? You should get HTTP 502 if it's accessible.
Thanks for the reply.

I've now tried this whole process about 5 times and I always get the "The remote endpoint could not be called" response

Where do I get the end point address.

What form should it take. Could you give me an example.

I know my ports are all set right as I can access the web server on a static ip (via No-IP.com).

So for example no.ip.com:8080 brings up my webpage for control and listing of movies

Also possibly worth mentioning that I'm only testing this in the AWS GUI. so haven't even bothered testing it on the DOT itself as it's always returning these errors

I've now read through the thread three times and although I missed this the first two times I've now noticed when i pushed through the

C:\Python27\Scripts\lambda-deploy.exe deploy

command, whilst it went through the process I was also getting the following error along the way

2016-12-11 17:51:56:WARNING:lambda_deploy: A .env file exists in your Lambda directory - be careful that it does not contain any secrets you don't want uploaded to AWS!
2016-12-11 17:51:56:WARNING:lambda_deploy: Skipping inclusion of of .env file - use LAMBDA_ENV_VARS instead (see documentation for more information)

The line that includes LAMDA_ENV_VARS is how it came and I dont remember being told to change anything so does this mean its not even using the .env file that I created

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-11, 19:15)jouster Wrote: Where do I get the end point address.

In this case, it's your Lambda function (the skill code).

(2016-12-11, 19:15)jouster Wrote: I know my ports are all set right as I can access the web server on a static ip (via No-IP.com).

So for example no.ip.com:8080 brings up my webpage for control and listing of movies

Good, so the skill should be able to get to Kodi.

(2016-12-11, 19:15)jouster Wrote: 2016-12-11 17:51:56:WARNING:lambda_deploy: Skipping inclusion of of .env file - use LAMBDA_ENV_VARS instead (see documentation for more information)

The line that includes LAMDA_ENV_VARS is how it came and I dont remember being told to change anything so does this mean its not even using the .env file that I created

No, it's just telling you it's not going to send the contents of the .env up for privacy/security reasons.
(2016-12-12, 16:06)jingai Wrote:
(2016-12-11, 19:15)jouster Wrote: Where do I get the end point address.

In this case, it's your Lambda function (the skill code).

(2016-12-11, 19:15)jouster Wrote: I know my ports are all set right as I can access the web server on a static ip (via No-IP.com).

Good, so the skill should be able to get to Kodi.

(2016-12-11, 19:15)jouster Wrote: 2016-12-11 17:51:56:WARNING:lambda_deploy: Skipping inclusion of of .env file - use LAMBDA_ENV_VARS instead (see documentation for more information)

No, it's just telling you it's not going to send the contents of the .env up for privacy/security reasons.

Thanks again for your replies, your saying it's my skill that's the issue but how do I test the endpoint you are talking about.

Really want to get this working but feels like I'm bashing my head against a wall

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-12, 21:00)jouster Wrote: Thanks again for your replies, your saying it's my skill that's the issue but how do I test the endpoint you are talking about.

This section of the README describes setting up the Lambda function. This section tells you to make note of your ARN -- that's the endpoint Amazon is referring to when you're setting up the skill.
I have created the ARN endpoint but it doesn't appear to be a valid https address

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-12, 21:46)jouster Wrote: I have created the ARN endpoint but it doesn't appear to be a valid https address

The ARN isn't a URL, no. I am not sure if there is a URL exposed somewhere at which you could point a browser in this case.

Before I continue.. I've been pretty busy lately which accounts for my hasty replies.. and I don't personally use AWS, so I'm not totally sure on all the details there.

But, the next thing I think you should do is to check the logs for the skill to see if it's even seeing any of the requests from the service simulator. I'd guess they should be somewhere on the AWS console in the Lambda section.

If not.. please re-read the two sections I linked in this post very carefully and see if you overlooked anything.
Thanks again for your reply. It is very much appreciated. I appreciate everyone has a busy life and all of the help you have given so far is fantastic and I know it's all done for the love of it (as it were)

You say you don't personally use AWS. I am. Now wondering what you personally use.

It doesn't help that I am a noob at this programming type of thing I'm sure.

The links you've sent me are the exact procedure I have followed which is why I am tearing my hair out.

I have followed them to the letter and I'm still getting the endpoint issue when attempting to test in AWS.

You mentioned in earlier post about pointing to my endpoint. Via a browser to see what response I get. This is where I was a little confused for now and was hoping this would at least either point to the expected result meaning I could look else where for my issue or see if there is something wrong early on.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-12, 21:59)jouster Wrote: You say you don't personally use AWS. I am. Now wondering what you personally use.

I host it myself, but don't misunderstand: I wasn't saying AWS is a 'bad' way to host it. Was just indicating my level of experience with it.

(2016-12-12, 21:59)jouster Wrote: The links you've sent me are the exact procedure I have followed which is why I am tearing my hair out.

I have followed them to the letter and I'm still getting the endpoint issue when attempting to test in AWS.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but obviously you missed something Wink It's difficult to say where you went wrong though.

You should start by checking the Lambda logs to see if the skill is even seeing any of the requests.

(2016-12-12, 21:59)jouster Wrote: You mentioned in earlier post about pointing to my endpoint. Via a browser to see what response I get. This is where I was a little confused for now and was hoping this would at least either point to the expected result meaning I could look else where for my issue or see if there is something wrong early on.

I don't know if there's a URL you can point a browser at to test Lambda functions. I'm sorry I mislead you there.
(2016-12-12, 22:07)jingai Wrote:
(2016-12-12, 21:59)jouster Wrote: You say you don't personally use AWS. I am. Now wondering what you personally use.

I host it myself, but don't misunderstand: I wasn't saying AWS is a 'bad' way to host it. Was just indicating my level of experience with it.

(2016-12-12, 21:59)jouster Wrote: The links you've sent me are the exact procedure I have followed which is why I am tearing my hair out.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but obviously you missed something Wink It's difficult to say where you went wrong though.

You should start by checking the Lambda logs to see if the skill is even seeing any of the requests.

(2016-12-12, 21:59)jouster Wrote: You mentioned in earlier post about pointing to my endpoint. Via a browser to see what response I get. This is where I was a little confused for now and was hoping this would at least either point to the expected result meaning I could look else where for my issue or see if there is something wrong early on.

I don't know if there's a URL you can point a browser at to test Lambda functions. I'm sorry I mislead you there.

You don't need to apologise and none of you replies are coming across as rude

The internet and chat rooms in general are so hard to communicate via at time as so much is lost in text.

You say you host it yourself. Do you find this easier? What do you use or recommend for this.

I have access to a raspberry pi or a NAS that can run host a server for the requirements if needed. I just need pointing in the right direction.

I will look at my logs but I fear the results I'll see will just lead to more questions.

I guess I may need some assistance from someone tuning this using the AWS process themselves

At the end of the day I'd rather run it locally hosted as it will (IMHO) be the better way to host it. This is how I have my KODI running in general (on a 100TB server) so I always appreciate how local data is more beneficial in some instances.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-12-12, 22:12)jouster Wrote: You say you host it yourself. Do you find this easier? What do you use or recommend for this.

I have access to a raspberry pi or a NAS that can run host a server for the requirements if needed. I just need pointing in the right direction.

It's up to what you find difficult, I guess, but it's just a web server (Apache + mod_wsgi in my case). I prefer to host it locally for a number of reasons.. the biggest being that I already had the web server in place for other things, so I didn't see the need to employ another service in the middle. It's faster, I don't have to place any trust in a 3rd party, etc.

The downsides are obvious too, though: if you don't know what you're doing, it's potentially a bigger security risk than just making Kodi accessible to the outside world. You'll be maintaining it yourself, dealing with certificates yourself, etc etc.

So.. it's up to you to decide.

(2016-12-12, 22:12)jouster Wrote: I will look at my logs but I fear the results I'll see will just lead to more questions.

Not likely, actually. Either it's getting the requests or it's not. If the logs are empty, the problem is the skill set up on the dev console. If the logs aren't empty but are presenting some error, posting the error here should be enough for us to help you figure out what to do.

You can look at the screenshots in @jonjon's post above if it helps.
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15