• 61(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
@fishslapman, working in the UK here, but not using heroku so not sure I can help Sad
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
Heroku is not the problem here - My back-end connection to Kodi is working fine. My custom skill config/implementation seems to be the issue.

i.e. the verbal commands issued to Alexa are not being processed as per the skill.

- As mentioned previously: When using the testing interface of the skill and typing the commands in, my Kodi box responds appropriately. When issuing a verbal command to my Echo Dot, Alexa has no clue what to do with it.

I had previously set it up using Lambda instead of Heroku - Exact same problem.
I'll try and get screenshots of everything I have set up when I get home to see if you can spot any differences ?
I'd be very grateful, thanks mate
@fishslapman Also in UK and have it working fine. I did have problems with other Skills if I set them up as US first. I had to create a new version of the Skill and make sure to set the language to English UK before doing anything. You might want to give that a try.

I posted how I have all my settings a few pages back

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2472473
.env file contents (with my specific bits commented out)

x1

Screenshots from developer.amazon.com

x4

If any images don't show up, you can get them here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5pa4r...zc2dDdZZ2M

Amazon Alexa app on phone / tablet is also configured as English UK to match the above.

(edit damn u google drive, not permalinks - click the highlighted link to get to images, couldn't embed them)
Hi All.

I could really do with some help as I am stumped, I am getting the dreaded "You must specify a region" error when I try to deploy the code to AWS & I do have it saved as ".env" which seems to be the most common cause of this error but not mine cause, can anyone shed some light as to what else could cause this error

Thanks
Thanks for all of your help guys, I've finally gotten it working now! Though I'm still not sure what the problem was initially.

I just deleted everything and started again from scratch and BOOM - instant gratification! I must have done something wrong the first time but god only knows what.

@Cliff999 - Which region are you specifying? I gather it only works with eu-west-1 (Dublin) and us-east-1 (N.Virginia) if that sheds any light on things..
Think I discovered a bug but it could be intended behaviour.....

If you ask the skill to play the next episode of any show then press stop (early enough in the episode that kodi doesn't even bookmark or mark the episode as watched, at least visually)... if you then repeat the command it will play the episode after the one it first played..... rinse and repeat and the result is consistent.

Only discovered / noticed it due to the excellent feedback the skill gives of (playing season x episode y of show z)...... which meant I noticed it "skipped"
@Nelbert, yup it's a bug. Or rather, just not the behavior most people would expect.

It's on my list of things to revisit. We are in the middle of some big changes atm.
(2017-01-17, 01:15)jingai Wrote: @Nelbert, yup it's a bug. Or rather, just not the behavior most people would expect.

It's on my list of things to revisit. We are in the middle of some big changes atm.

Cool.... I know you've probably answered via here and / or GitHub. Will new version require many changes to a working setup? No big deal if so, once I had my .env file sorted it was easy with current setup steps and encouraged me to check out more of Amazon web services (started using glacier for family photo backups).

Is there any specific things to keep in mind / avoid if trying to get a second kodi htpc setup?
There will be pretty significant changes to the deployment method, unfortunately. It'll be for the best in the long-run though.

Setting up for a second Kodi box currently means making a copy of everything, including a second port open on your router.

I am thinking of how to make one skill control multiple instances of Kodi, but it'll be a little bit before I get to it.
(2017-01-17, 01:38)jingai Wrote: There will be pretty significant changes to the deployment method, unfortunately. It'll be for the best in the long-run though.

Setting up for a second Kodi box currently means making a copy of everything, including a second port open on your router.

I am thinking of how to make one skill control multiple instances of Kodi, but it'll be a little bit before I get to it.

Could you make the various htpc and port details switchable in the kodi and have them defined and named via the something like the env file (or something similar). "Tell kodi im in the sitting room" etc.... to switch between them would be better than "tell kodi to tell X room to do Y" for every command. Just my 2 cents..... I'm good with databases not coding and this would in my head be just updating a field to specify or cycle through the kodi instances. Can be ignored in one kodi instance scenarios easily then too. The slots on the skill could maybe be used too.
That's the idea. The biggest hurdle is the added complexity for the end users. It's already a complicated setup for a lot of folks.
(2017-01-17, 00:07)fishslapman Wrote: Thanks for all of your help guys, I've finally gotten it working now! Though I'm still not sure what the problem was initially.

I just deleted everything and started again from scratch and BOOM - instant gratification! I must have done something wrong the first time but god only knows what.

@Cliff999 - Which region are you specifying? I gather it only works with eu-west-1 (Dublin) and us-east-1 (N.Virginia) if that sheds any light on things..

@fishslapman I have this in my .env file "AWS_DEFAULT_REGION = eu-west-1" and I have the Europe Dublin selected in the main screen is AWS
  • 61(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15