HowTo compile the latest version of Ember from SourceCode
Brick 
What you need (please only download and follow the guide for installations):

STEP 1
  • create an account on GitHub
  • fork our code on GitHub (that creates your own copy of Ember in your account)
  • install GitHub Desktop and Clone the code to your harddrive ( + sign => your Account Name => Clone => select Ember-MM-Newscraper | don't use a network drive to save the code)

STEP 2
  • install Visual Studio 2015 Community edition (default settings for VB.NET)

STEP 3

If exist, delete the folder .\GitHub\Ember-MM-Newscraper\EmberMM - Release - x86 to cleanup a new version from old and no longer needed files!
  • start Visual Studio and Open Project => .\GitHub\Ember-MM-Newscraper\Ember Media Manager.sln
  • Unload (right mouse button => Unload Project) this projects in the Solution Explorer (Ctrl+Alt+L): EmberAPI_Test, Scraper_Test and UnitTests
  • go to Build => Configuration Manager and switch to Active solution configuration: Release and Active solution platform: x86 (no, x64 does not work)
  • Compile the source code with Build => Build solution (Ctrl+Shift+B)

STEP 4
  • install NSIS (use version 2.46 if the latest version does not work in Step 5)

STEP 5
  • open Explorer, goto .\GitHub\Ember-MM-Newscraper\BuildSetup and run 0_BuildSetup_x86.bat
  • setup your transifex account (type https://www.transifex.com in the first or second step (it's also displayed while running batch file))
  • the NSIS should create your new nightly version in Builds folder

DONE

UPDATE YOUR SOURCE CODE TO OUR LATEST VERSION:

If exist, delete the folder .\GitHub\Ember-MM-Newscraper\EmberMM - Release - x86 to cleanup a new version from old and no longer needed files!
  • start GitHub Desktop
  • select Ember-MM-Newscraper
  • click on the top right "gear" button and select Open in Git Shell
  • in Git Shell enter to force refresh:
    Code:
    git fetch --all
  • click on the Compare button (on top of the history list) and select DanCooper/master
  • click on the Update from DanCooper/master button
  • open the project in Visual Studio, compile the new code and run the batch file to create the installer
Is this just for nightly builds? Will you be uploading the next beta when ready like previous versions?
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
(2016-01-09, 14:59)AnthonyJS02 Wrote: Is this just for nightly builds? Will you be uploading the next beta when ready like previous versions?

Yes - Yes
Dan there is a problem. Before to build the project i need to add the reference of VLC ActiveX? How?
Thanks
I'm not in danger Skyler, I'm the danger! A guy opens his door and get shot, and you think that's me? No, I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!!

Ember Media Manager lover...
(2016-01-11, 21:20)brunosso Wrote: Dan there is a problem. Before to build the project i need to add the reference of VLC ActiveX? How?
Thanks

See "Step 1". You need version 2.1.5 with activated ActiveX plugin (check if enabled in VLC install wizard).
You can only compile the code as x86 if you include the VLC addon in the project folder.

Another way is to unload the addon VLC Player in project tree (same way like i have described in Step 4). Without the VLC addon it should be working without VLC ActiveX installation.

P.S.: 2.1.5 was the last version that had included a working ActiveX plugin. I don't know why no never versions that i've tested does not work...
(2016-01-12, 01:08)DanCooper Wrote: See "Step 1". You need version 2.1.5 with activated ActiveX plugin (check if enabled in VLC install wizard).
You can only compile the code as x86 if you include the VLC addon in the project folder.

Another way is to unload the addon VLC Player in project tree (same way like i have described in Step 4). Without the VLC addon it should be working without VLC ActiveX installation.

P.S.: 2.1.5 was the last version that had included a working ActiveX plugin. I don't know why no never versions that i've tested does not work...

I try to build but i have many errors, and the dll file relative to VLC are not created!!!

This is the list of errors http://pasted.co/ec0b18b6 and i notice that the reference in "generic.EmberCore.VLC" are whith a yellow mark!

I'm not in danger Skyler, I'm the danger! A guy opens his door and get shot, and you think that's me? No, I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!!

(2016-01-12, 16:15)brunosso Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 01:08)DanCooper Wrote: See "Step 1". You need version 2.1.5 with activated ActiveX plugin (check if enabled in VLC install wizard).

I try to build but i have many errors, and the dll file relative to VLC are not created!!!

This is the list of errors http://pasted.co/ec0b18b6 and i notice that the reference in "generic.EmberCore.VLC" are whith a yellow mark!

Looks like you have installed VLC version 2.1.3.

Please try this:
- Close VS
- uninstall VLC via Windows Programm Manager
- reboot your system
- install VLC x86 2.1.5 with ActiveX plugin

If that does not work, unload the VLC addon in Ember (this addon does not work proper anyway).

To solve the error in Trakt.tv addon:
- try to prebuild the Trakttv API (C# projekt at the bottom of project list) with right mouse button => Build
(2016-01-12, 16:34)DanCooper Wrote: Looks like you have installed VLC version 2.1.3.

Please try this:
- Close VS
- reboot your system

If that does not work, unload the VLC addon in Ember (this addon does not work proper anyway).

- try to prebuild the Trakttv API (C# projekt at the bottom of project list) with right mouse button => Build

I install the version you linked in 1st post. BTW now i installed 2.2.0 and the yellow triangle in "AXVLC" is gone, but the "AxAXVLC" yellow triangle is present!
For now i unload the addon

(2016-01-12, 17:32)brunosso Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 16:34)DanCooper Wrote: Looks like you have installed VLC version 2.1.3.

Please try this:
- Close VS
- reboot your system

I install the version you linked in 1st post. BTW now i installed 2.2.0 and the yellow triangle in "AXVLC" is gone, but the "AxAXVLC" yellow triangle is present!
For now i unload the addon

Do you have switched to x86 in VS? VLC don't have a x64 plugin. Anyway, the Ember VLC addon does not work really good and has to be rewrite, so i think it's the best way if you unload it from build.
(2016-01-12, 17:35)DanCooper Wrote: Do you have switched to x86 in VS? VLC don't have a x64 plugin. Anyway, the Ember VLC addon does not work really good and has to be rewrite, so i think it's the best way if you unload it from build.

Yes i'm on Release - x86... i don't understant why there is only a dll file in vlc, but there are 2 reference?

(2016-01-12, 17:40)brunosso Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 17:35)DanCooper Wrote: Do you have switched to x86 in VS? VLC don't have a x64 plugin. Anyway, the Ember VLC addon does not work really good and has to be rewrite, so i think it's the best way if you unload it from build.

Yes i'm on Release - x86... i don't understant why there is only a dll file in vlc, but there are 2 reference?

There are two dll's: AxInterop.AXVLC.dll and Interop.AXVLC.dll
(2016-01-12, 17:47)DanCooper Wrote: There are two dll's: AxInterop.AXVLC.dll and Interop.AXVLC.dll

I mean in the vlc installation folder, this two dll aren't builded from VSHuh When i build the solution, there aren't created in subfolder Modules..

(2016-01-12, 17:52)brunosso Wrote:
(2016-01-12, 17:47)DanCooper Wrote: There are two dll's: AxInterop.AXVLC.dll and Interop.AXVLC.dll

I mean in the vlc installation folder, this two dll aren't builded from VSHuh When i build the solution, there aren't created in subfolder Modules..

I'm not shure how it exacly works. Maybe this two dll's are saved in a Widnows COM library, extracted from the ActiveX dll or something else...
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win3...-win32.exe

I use this version of VLC, and now all reference are correct! The building process return no error (Building only, i remove Intellisense)

(2016-01-12, 18:13)brunosso Wrote: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win3...-win32.exe

I use this version of VLC, and now all reference are correct! The building process return no error (Building only, i remove Intellisense)

Ok. I'm not shure, but maybe VS crash if you try to open a dialog with VLC control in VisualStudio.
I've found a new VLC package in Nuget. I try to use that, so users no longer need to have VLC installed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HowTo compile the latest version of Ember from SourceCode1