• 100(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2018-08-10, 23:50)hdmkv Wrote: Great, you got it working! And you've confirmed what @wrxtasy & I suspected; no refresh rate switching on Android side (whatever the resolution is set at is what gets output).

Hey, you now get to enjoy movies (almost all are 24p) in 24p Smile!
 Sadly, I can't tell any difference....... guess ignorance is really bliss.
You should see smoother pans in movies, basically no more (or much reduced) judder due to your TV not having to do something called 3:2 pulldown in order to map 24fps to 60Hz. AFTV recently did a nice article on this as 24p support has returned to Fire TV 3 (and soon Cube). Ignorance is indeed bliss, that is until you start noticing artifacts and getting educated at AVSForum & here, and can't un-see them and want perfection.
(2018-08-11, 00:18)hdmkv Wrote: You should see smoother pans in movies, basically no more (or much reduced) judder due to your TV not having to do something called 3:2 pulldown in order to map 24fps to 60Hz. AFTV recently did a nice article on this as 24p support has returned to Fire TV 3 (and soon Cube). Ignorance is indeed bliss, that is until you start noticing artifacts and getting educated at AVSForum & here, and can't un-see them and want perfection.
 Now that I know what to look for and what settings to use, I can check my devices to see if they are capable of switching the refresh rate.  It appears that most of my antiquated equipment is not capable of switching the hz.  I can't use my HDMI switch, I can't use my AVR, and my other TV's are too old I guess.  Out of all my combinations, only directly connected to my 4k TV allows the refresh change.

Now it appears it is going to cost me $$$ to update my equipment.  Guess I was better off being ignorant......... and happy with what I had...
Note that some TVs remove 3:2 pulldown automatically. Coupled with the fact that many people don't notice it, I would say auto frame rate switching is very overrated. That's why probably Google certifies boxes that don't implement this feature - it's considered not important.
(2018-08-11, 01:39)clarkss12 Wrote: Guess I was better off being ignorant......... and happy with what I had

Haha, if you don't notice the difference there's no problem with that..you can keep enjoying it no need to worry Wink
(2018-08-11, 01:39)clarkss12 Wrote: It appears that most of my antiquated equipment is not capable of switching the hz.  I can't use my HDMI switch, I can't use my AVR, and my other TV's are too old I guess.  Out of all my combinations, only directly connected to my 4k TV allows the refresh change.
Now it appears it is going to cost me $$$ to update my equipment.  Guess I was better off being ignorant......... and happy with what I had... 
Does your HDMI switch have a little switch that says "Std" or "TV"? If it does, you can put that on "TV" and it is likely to work. Your AVR may also have some setting that would make it "transparent" in the display chain. As for why refresh rate switching didn't work with 480p/SD content, you do have to enable those resolutions also in the whitelist. Other wise, Kodi would upscale 480p to 1080p.
(2018-08-11, 02:29)crea Wrote: Note that some TVs remove 3:2 pulldown automatically. Coupled with the fact that many people don't notice it, I would say auto frame rate switching is very overrated. That's why probably Google certifies boxes that don't implement this feature - it's considered not important.
That's a very USA centric view of the world which is fine for USA viewers and a USA company like Google that only has to deal with 24p and 29.97 fps video content in Android.

Those of us in Europe, UK, Asia, NZ and Australia have to deal with 25 / 50 fps (TV) content as well, and that does not playback smoothly at all when output at a fixed 60 Hz.

Apple considers Frame Rate matching important for worldwide Apple TV 4/4K viewers...
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208288

Android TV being a niche OS gets no where near the same level of App developer support. That is the reality of the situation.
(2018-08-11, 03:07)wrxtasy Wrote: Those of us in Europe, UK, Asia, NZ and Australia have to deal with 25 / 50 fps (TV) content as well, and that does not playback smoothly at all when output at a fixed 60 Hz.

Ah I get what you mean, since 50 is close to 60 there's no way to compensate for that same way as pulldown. I personally don't watch OTA TV and my TV does remove the 3:2 pulldown Blush
I just see this topic comes up all the time when people discuss TV boxes. It's getting ridiculous these days that many believe that a TV box without AFR is not good for movies (24fps) without even checking if they can see the pulldown themselves.
(2018-08-11, 03:17)crea Wrote:
(2018-08-11, 03:07)wrxtasy Wrote: Those of us in Europe, UK, Asia, NZ and Australia have to deal with 25 / 50 fps (TV) content as well, and that does not playback smoothly at all when output at a fixed 60 Hz.

Ah I get what you mean, since 50 is close to 60 there's no way to compensate for that same way as pulldown. I personally don't watch OTA TV and my TV does remove the 3:2 pulldown Blush
I just see this topic comes up all the time when people discuss TV boxes. It's getting ridiculous these days that many believe that a TV box without AFR is not good for movies (24fps) without even checking if they can see the pulldown themselves.
It's not only OTA TV, IPTV and catchup TV in those territories are 25fps, which again does not play nice at 60Hz.
For example I run the Apple TV 4K @ 1080p/4K 50Hz so there is NO unnecessary TV refresh rate switching for 25fps OTA TV and IPTV viewing, and everything syncs up nicely.

Use Plex, Infuse, MrMC, Netflix or Prime Video and tvOS - auto Frame Rate matching just takes care of everything else. It really is set and forget and stress free.

I see Amazon are now getting in on the Frame Rate matching act, at least for Plex, Kodi, MrMC & Prime Video on the FireTV Gen 3.

The Bigger the screen, the easier it is to see video judder - just ask projector owners. Wink

One of my bad habits, is that I always find a solution to a problem that I don't have.  I create problems so I can find a solution.  Anyway, I doubt if I will ever be able to see any changes in what I "see".  I did however order a new Yamaha AVR yesterday, to solve a problem that I don't really have.  It has 7 HDCP 2.2 inputs, so that will take care of some of the devices that I have attached to my TV.
(2018-08-11, 03:17)crea Wrote: It's getting ridiculous these days that many believe that a TV box without AFR is not good for movies (24fps) without even checking if they can see the pulldown themselves. 

If you live in Europe/much of Asia and Africa/Aus/NZ and other 50Hz regions - not having AFR IS a showstopper for almost all of us... I routinely watch content originated at 23.976, 24.000, 25, 29.97, 50 and 59.94 Hz...   The only way to stay sane is to have 23.976, 24.000, 50 and 59.94Hz auto switching as a minimum.
My granddaughter (age 17), came over yesterday and we sat down to watch a video, as we usually do.  I told her there would be a quiz after the movie, and to watch the video carefully.  Unfortunately, she chose a NON action flick, so no fast moving objects.  Anyway, halfway through the movie, we paused the movie, so she could go forage in the kitchen for snacks.  While she was foraging, I hit the "OK" button on my TV remote, and lo and behold, it showed 720x480/ 60P ::  WHAT, WHAT, WHAT went wrong.  Anyway, no use for a quiz, but after the movie was over, I did some head scratching.  I found that SOME or a LOT of my DVD rips are encoded with MPEG 2 codecs, and they do NOT play very well under CoreELEC.  My DVD rips that are coded with H264, play in 1920x1080 /24 ( guess that CoreELEC is up scaling the 480p to 1080P).

Is there a setting to correct the issue with my videos that are ripped with MPEG 2 codecHuh

P.S, even though the movie we watched was playing at 60Hz, did not notice anything wrong, looked good to US.
It's very likely that Kodi Leia whitelist business not auto switching resolutions or refresh rates when viewing 720x480p content.

(2018-08-14, 03:31)wrxtasy Wrote: It's very likely that Kodi Leia whitelist business not auto switching resolutions or refresh rates when viewing 720x480p content.
 What do you suggest?  It is only the mpeg2 encoded videos that are affected.
Kodi Settings > Player > Videos > Accelerate MPEG2 > Always

(2018-08-14, 08:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi Settings > Player > Videos > Accelerate MPEG2 > Always
 I just checked and it was already set to always..........  I just received a new Yamaha Receiver today that has 7 HDMI inputs, and all of then have HDCP 2.2.   I can do more testing now.  I tried to use my Xiaomi Mibox as my test box, but it was totally unreliable for testing the different HDMI ports for HDCP version, sometimes it showed HDCP 1.x and sometimes it showed unprotected, it did show HDCP 2.2 once and only once.

Strangely, my new Mecool KM8 (Google Certified), showed HDCP 2.2 on each of the 7 HDMI ports and testing 7 different HDMI cables.  Never missed a beat.  I thought the Xiaomi would be my test unit, but now I remember why I never use it, it is not very good.  I never even updated to Oreo.

Now, I can test all my devices and see what they are really capable of.
thanks
  • 100(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6