• 61(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-01-09, 04:02)dWooluf Wrote: ... wrxtasy is talking to those who might want to switch operating systems from time to time

So am I .............

DEcosse Wrote:Dual booting is simple with a S905/X box running Librelec (kszaq) on SD card.
Insert SD Card, boots automatically to Librelec; eject SD Card, boots to Android.

d'Wooluf Wrote:..... Of course, no-one in the real world wants to boot into Android on a generic Chinese box ...
I for one do .........
I have a Chinese box and it actually works extremely well on Android; even runs SPMC quite effectively under Android, although doesn't have same level of decoding that LE has due to inherent Android limitations;
So Dual-Boot is an excellent way to go, if you want that additional capability that LE gives. (even if you have to get off the couch to click in the drive)
However many may just elect to eliminate Android completely if their SOLE intention is to run a Kodi variant (LibreElec)
As far as Stand-alone LE OS, kudos to kszaq who has done INCREDIBLE and tireless work in honing the capabilities on these type of boxes.

But personally I like ALSO having Android and use several apps, most notably Browser capability on which I can run my Subscription Streaming Service for the UK Football Club I follow. .
I actually just loaded Amazon Video app the other day also - my wife has Amazon Prime account so we have that capability too.

Do YOU actually have a box, or are you just regurgitating what you may have (mis)-heard?

I'm not holding this up to be the be-all to end-all - but this kind of nonsense comment is just not valid.

I have to ask again why we even have this thread, when people are so dismissive of these options.
Read the title folks - if this is not an option that interests you, why not just ignore it?
(2017-01-09, 08:51)DEcosse Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 04:02)dWooluf Wrote: ... wrxtasy is talking to those who might want to switch operating systems from time to time

So am I .............

DEcosse Wrote:Dual booting is simple with a S905/X box running Librelec (kszaq) on SD card.
Insert SD Card, boots automatically to Librelec; eject SD Card, boots to Android.

d'Wooluf Wrote:..... Of course, no-one in the real world wants to boot into Android on a generic Chinese box ...
I for one do .........
I have a Chinese box and it actually works extremely well on Android; even runs SPMC quite effectively under Android, although doesn't have same level of decoding that LE has due to inherent Android limitations;
So Dual-Boot is an excellent way to go, if you want that additional capability that LE gives. (even if you have to get off the couch to click in the drive)
However many may just elect to eliminate Android completely if their SOLE intention is to run a Kodi variant (LibreElec)
As far as Stand-alone LE OS, kudos to kszaq who has done INCREDIBLE and tireless work in honing the capabilities on these type of boxes.

But personally I like ALSO having Android and use several apps, most notably Browser capability on which I can run my Subscription Streaming Service for the UK Football Club I follow. .
I actually just loaded Amazon Video app the other day also - my wife has Amazon Prime account so we have that capability too.

Do YOU actually have a box, or are you just regurgitating what you may have (mis)-heard?

I'm not holding this up to be the be-all to end-all - but this kind of nonsense comment is just not valid.

I have to ask again why we even have this thread, when people are so dismissive of these options.
Read the title folks - if this is not an option that interests you, why not just ignore it?

+1, some people seem to have a real downer on these very good value for money Chinese boxes, I run Kodi on mine with android apps integrated into my Kodi build with no problem, well worth the money I paid for it and for me it works flawlessly. As always it depends on your requirements and whether or not the box in question can meet them.
(2017-01-09, 08:51)DEcosse Wrote: Do YOU actually have a box, or are you just regurgitating what you may have (mis)-heard?

Ok, so you take this stuff really seriously. Yes, I've got a Beelink Mini MXIII vII. There was nothing in Android I used apart from Kodi, and that crashed from time to time, mostly on exit. I didn't think it looked that great either, though that might be just settings. SPMC I couldn't control at all. None of the controls visibly moved anything. Maybe these issues could have been fixed with time and tinkering and upgrading. No need to 'cause I installed Kazaq's build and I got what I wanted which was a seamless Kodi. I fully understand that other people have different needs. The lines you quoted were meant as banter. This is recreation, not politics. And I agree. Fantastic value for the price.
(2017-01-09, 08:51)DEcosse Wrote:

So am I .............

I for one do .........

+3 plz install some reboot apk from play store and use option reboot from nand in libreelec to switch os Wink
(2017-01-09, 09:22)dWooluf Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 08:51)DEcosse Wrote: Do YOU actually have a box, or are you just regurgitating what you may have (mis)-heard?

Ok, so you take this stuff really seriously. Yes, I've got a Beelink Mini MXIII vII. There was nothing in Android I used apart from Kodi, and that crashed from time to time, mostly on exit. I didn't think it looked that great either, though that might be just settings. SPMC I couldn't control at all. None of the controls visibly moved anything. Maybe these issues could have been fixed with time and tinkering and upgrading. No need to 'cause I installed Kazaq's build and I got what I wanted which was a seamless Kodi. I fully understand that other people have different needs. The lines you quoted were meant as banter. This is recreation, not politics. And I agree. Fantastic value for the price.
just disable amcodec in kodi ,in spmc u can change skin ?
You don't even need to eject the Micro SD card to dual boot into Andorid from LibreElec on a generic Chna box, just select "reboot from NAND" on the the LibreElec reboot option and your done, without moving from your couch...

As far as the reset hole goes, that is a one time only thing that you need to press the reset button with a pin hole, the first time you boot LibreElec from Micro SD card. After that you dont need to do this.

It's defimitely beneficial keeping the stock android or custom ROM andtroid image on NAND on cheap china boxes unless you pnly want the box for Kodi usage and nothing else. personally I find it useful to be able to boot into android occasionally and run android apps like a web browser and google maps etc, also useful to run speed test app to check the wifi performance of the box.

- I'm away on a training course from work soon, wihich means staying in a hotel for a week with hotel WiFi, I will be taking an android box with me for some evening movie viewing... This particular hotel requires any devices conencting to the WiFi to open a web browser which then presents the hotel WiFi page, you click a button and it autohiruses the mac adress of the device for WiFi access. Now if you have a LibreElec only device i.e: no web browser capibility it's impossible to connect to the hotel WiFi... I had exactly this issue last time I decided to take a RPI 2 with me running OSMC, without a web browser I could not get it to connect to hotel WiFi.. I ended up having to tether it using 4G data off my mobile phone I had unlimited free 4G data usage at the time.

This time the plan is to boot into android, use chrome browser to authorise the device with te Hotel web page captive portal, I should then be able reboot into LibreElec and use WiFi as the WiFi MAC address of the device has already been authroised. If for some reason that doesnt work, I still have SPMC and Kodi on android.

So there is always a use case/benefit of having android capibility on your device. However if your absolutely sure you will never need android, and only need Kodi, then NAND installation of LibreElec is the way to go, you will benefit from faster snappier response and boot times from the internal EMMC rather than being limitied by your Micro SD card.

Of course there is always people posting in this thread posting misinformation, putting downers on cheap devices etc... take a look at the kodi sponsors list and the companies on it for a reason as to why this maybe the case Wink Price/performance/hardware spec generic china boxes cannot be beaten. For those willing to do a litle bit of reading and research there are great bargains out there...
Didn't realize the LE/Android boot option until I moved LE to NAND... but, it runs much better on NAND vs. mSD anyway.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2017-01-09, 15:26)hdmkv Wrote: Didn't realize the LE/Android boot option until I moved LE to NAND... but, it runs much better on NAND vs. mSD anyway.

For me is rly OK ,liberelec on mSD card (Samsung evo 32gb and Samsung Evo+ 32gb)Do you test high bitrate clips with latest libreelec ?
Tongue 
FYI. This lot don't give up easily and certainly only for the xtremely brave:

Xtreamer Wonder3 due mid Feb (aka July Wink )

S912 based which is currently the least support SoC, but specs slightly better than typical (eg 3GB DDR4, incl airmouse)
This made me laugh....
Quote:Wonder 3 comes built in with marshmallow android 6.0 a more matured OS

I Wonder if Xtreamer have found the Magic AML Marshmallow sauce the rest of the AMLogic world has been missing to get a S912 device working properly out of the gate ?

There are lots of advertising references to "Bigger" "More" "Greater" 'Better". Almost reads like those SPAM Emails you get, offering to enlarge your Mr Johnson ! Wink

(2017-01-09, 14:57)gsmtech Wrote: You don't even need to eject the Micro SD card to dual boot into Andorid from LibreElec on a generic Chna box, just select "reboot from NAND" on the the LibreElec reboot option and your done, without moving from your couch...
Don't know how I missed this in the Quit menu - thanks!
(and of course negates the non-dual-boot capability/toothpick requirement even further)
I had TWRP installed but it was (apparently) making the OTA firmware updates problematic, so after clean update I left it off - might revisit that.

p.s. edit - I just realized guess you don't even need boot option from Android into LE - with the card left in it will automatically reboot to LE anyway and when you want to go back to Android, use that boot option from LE
Couldn't be simpler - and makes the couch potatoes even happier! Big Grin

Quote:...., also useful to run speed test app to check the wifi performance of the box.
You can also load SpeedTest Add-on directly into Kodi (SPMC/LibreElec) and run from there.

Quote:... . If for some reason that doesnt work, I still have SPMC and Kodi on android.

Running 'most' video files that you are likely streaming, should be absolutely fine using SPMC under Android, if running to a hotel room TV with embedded audio which probably does not possess any hardware that requires anything different. So I think it would probably fufill your requirements there in that environment anyway.
But it's great to have the option.
(2017-01-09, 18:18)wrxtasy Wrote: .... . Almost reads like those SPAM Emails you get, offering to enlarge your Mr Johnson ! Wink
Are those for real?
Can you forward please?

Big Grin
haha, this china bois!

"World's best android tv", right.
I triple boot with my X9 (S905x 2gig/8gig), same as M8S 2. Android 6.0, LibreELEC and Ubuntu 16.04. Using the Linux port as a Plex and Emby server. Right now, I am only using it as a media server. Very versatile device for less than $40 US.
(2017-01-09, 21:25)clarkss12 Wrote: I triple boot with my X9 (S905x 2gig/8gig), same as M8S 2. Android 6.0, LibreELEC and Ubuntu 16.04. Using the Linux port as a Plex and Emby server. Right now, I am only using it as a media server. Very versatile device for less than $40 US.

Triple boot WinkNice
  • 61(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6