• 76(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
Videostrong (the maker of these boxes) is not listed as an HDCP adopter. Like @wrxtasy has mentioned a million times, these boxes are not going to get Netflix HD just because they happen to have Widevine DRM Level 1 and HDCP. The boxes need to be baptized by Netflix for that to happen.

Of course, if they do have level 1 Widevine DRM, they can stream Netflix in 720p using the patched Netflix apk that can now be found in the wild. Anything higher than 720p is very unlikely.
Yes agreed.

The extra heaping of bullshit in such advertising with this MECOOL M8S Pro+ is pictures showing 4K HDR Netflix capabilities - which is completely impossible unless you meet the above requirements + HDCP 2.2 and you are running the Android TV Netflix App & have your hardware platform also "baptized" by Netflix.

I suppose the good thing is it may actually be another decent s905x box to put libreelec on, and quite cheap.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Can't decide between the Khadas VIM, the Zidoo A5S and the Tanix TX7... Which one would you guys pick? (4k and Wifi usage mainly)
(2017-06-24, 07:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes agreed.

The extra heaping of bullshit in such advertising with this MECOOL M8S Pro+ is pictures showing 4K HDR Netflix capabilities - which is completely impossible unless you meet the above requirements + HDCP 2.2 and you are running the Android TV Netflix App & have your hardware platform also "baptized" by Netflix.

You could use that advertisement as a perfect example for newbies looking for the holy grail for $40. These boxes have come a long way, however. Four years ago, I was pleased, if the box could play for 5 minutes without rebooting. It took a couple of years for those Chinese boxes to finally get Dolby Digital working. Today, the goal is to find one of these boxes that will play HD audio from the stock Android OS, my Zidoo X9S is the closest one I have that seems to just work.

I have/had more that two or three dozen of these boxes/sticks in the last four years, and most are Junk. I do have a couple that just works, but they are boring for me, so I don't use them. My Zidoo X9S does play with HD audio, but I don't use it, I prefer my $40 Android boxes running OpenELEC/LibreELEC, or Linux.

For a very long time, I used my $35 MK808B plus for my Tvheadend server, and it worked fantastic for that purpose.

I did finally decided to stay away from Rockchip, because their support is horrible, and I have several boxes with their SoC's. I did read someplace that Intel has partnered with Rockchip a year or so ago, but not sure if that is true, or how Rockchip has benefited from that partnership.

I guess what I am saying, is these inexpensive Amlogic boxes are great to tinker with, but as Wrxtasy says, don't expect much out of the box running the stock Android OS, because the ads lie big time, and this box is a perfect example of that huge lie.
(2017-06-06, 16:47)tmihai20 Wrote: I do not want to make you change your mind, but an ODroid C2 would be just as good. You want it to be as cheap as possible?

Yes sold. I did get an ODROID C2 in the end with Libreelec on microSD. When I attach the 4 TB Seagates direct via USB (NTFS) it says it detects and mounts the USB but it does not seem to assign a drive letter. Therefore I cannot add the videos to the library. Ideas?

Just read this? look in your Root filesystem /var/media/<partition label> or maybe MNT? Also mention of SSH?
@JCreeny: I do not not specific details because I am not using LibreElec (I own an oDroid XU4 though). I do not know where it mounts its drives. I do not know of any topic here on Kodi.TV Forum, but I would look here https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f...8565c5f60a.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2017-06-27, 13:38)JCreeny Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 16:47)tmihai20 Wrote: I do not want to make you change your mind, but an ODroid C2 would be just as good. You want it to be as cheap as possible?

Yes sold. I did get an ODROID C2 in the end with Libreelec on microSD. When I attach the 4 TB Seagates direct via USB (NTFS) it says it detects and mounts the USB but it does not seem to assign a drive letter. Therefore I cannot add the videos to the library. Ideas?

Just read this? look in your Root filesystem /var/media/<partition label> or maybe MNT? Also mention of SSH?
Ssh and type
Code:
mount
- the ouput will show where it is mounted.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-28, 01:43)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-27, 13:38)JCreeny Wrote:

Ssh and type
Code:
mount
- the ouput will show where it is mounted.

Thanks found it
The Washup;

Connecting Multiple Harddrives (5 x 4 TB) to a Kodi Device

Went with an Odroid C2 with Libreelec on a 32 gb microSD card (UHS1). The Odroid is powered off a powered USB hub using a micro USB (you need at least 2 amps). Mouse is an air mouse which uses one of the USB ports for the IR dongle (used one at the top so the mouse has direct line). Two of the other harddrives use two other ports on the Odroid and the three other hard drives are connected to the powered hub and then use the fourth Odroid USB port.

Libreelec picked up all 5 drives seamlessly and registered them in the media directory. 20,000 items all scrapped fine via the movie database etc. So all good and a recommended setup if you have a lot of local content with more than two drives.
Nice work sorting it all out !

For those interested this Website has ongoing microSDHC card tests that AML LibreELEC (& RPi) users will find interesting:

The Wirecutter - The Best microSD Cards

Their conclusion over the last few years has been the Samsung EVO line of microSDHC cards were the best because they had superior Random 4K R/W speeds for the price paid vs the rest. This is this most important measurement when using SD cards in Kodi media players. Wink

The only issue I have is the air mouse not working and it being treated as a joystick.

Can't SSH in via putty;

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2611211

and trying to avoid reinstall including the 20 TB library
(2017-07-02, 07:24)JCreeny Wrote: The only issue I have is the air mouse not working and it being treated as a joystick.

Can't SSH in via putty;

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2611211

and trying to avoid reinstall including the 20 TB library

Sorted, as per thread
JohnGalt from the LibreELEC forum has been working on 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds using the Leia (Kodi 18). He has created a port for Netflix HD, which is awesome for these $40 Android boxes running LibreELEC. Had to make a video to show what he has done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kiqQnY2e_c
(2017-07-08, 19:59)clarkss12 Wrote: JohnGalt from the LibreELEC forum has been working on 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds using the Leia (Kodi 18). He has created a port for Netflix HD, which is awesome for these $40 Android boxes running LibreELEC. Had to make a video to show what he has done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kiqQnY2e_c
Actually the Netflix 720p stuff has had @peak3d from Team-Kodi's hands all over it for quite a while now - @JohnGalt has been merging the AML Nougat (HDR) Kernel code. I may have been doing some minor Leia refactoring work as well, and lets not forget @kszaq.

Many fingers in the Pie as always with Open Source LibreELEC Kodi. Wink

The AML S9xx can only do 720p Max. Netflix as it has to be H264 ffmpeg Software decoded. Still looks pretty decent & comes with DD/DD+ 5.1 Audio. Smile

Would love to know what a LE 9.x Kodi v18 test build on a Chromebox would do so far as H264 ffmpeg Netflix is concerned.

• 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6