Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-03-20, 11:22)noggin Wrote: I think that will depend on how the LEDs are driven and whether there is support for them in LE or not. You could get lucky and find they don't light up...

That would probably be too lucky... I've seen some tear-downs of this box anyway, and the edge strip is just a plastic tube that push-fits onto two LEDs mounted on the mobo, so I could very easily just wrap some black insulating tape around the LEDs with no lasting damage to the hardware.

USB tuners/etc are not an issue, would be using this just for LAN-based media streaming. As long as HDMI and optical outputs work perfectly for AC3/DTS/etc, and dynamic resolution and frame-rate switching work, that's all I need. I would use LibreELEC from an SD Card to start with, so I could still boot back to manufacturer's spec, but once I know it works would probably flash it.

So getting back to my main question, it sounds like I would probably be better going for the more recent S905X version with 2GB/8GB (instead of older 2GB/16GB version). Someone said the 'X' variant didn't support gigabit ethernet, but the specs for this QBOX indicate LAN support as 10/100/1000. I will have to wait and see, it won't be an issue for any regular HD material either way.

My media database is already saved as an SQL database on my NAS (which is also where my media files are located) as I've been testing Kodi with my PC to see if it like it. I will need to remotely access the device's file system to update Kodi files such as advancedsettings.xml, mediasources.xml, passwords.xml, etc. so I assume I can do that via a network share from my PC with the appropriate login credentials, rather than needing to use SSH? Not the end of the world if I can't though, WinSCP is an easy enough way to do it, or PuTTY if I'm feeling masochistic. Smile

Andre

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - by andrewilley - 2017-03-20, 12:45
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6