• 75(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-06-06, 22:38)JCreeny Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 16:47)tmihai20 Wrote: I do not want to make you change your mind, but an oDroid C2 would be just as good. You want it to be as cheap as possible?

Open to all advice as you know better than me. The last few pages of this thread rave about the device.

I gather this is the baby;

http://auseparts.com.au/index.php?route=...uct_id=357

but you need to buy the Wifi module separately? This will leave 3 x USBs so will have to use a hub (powered) to fit all 5 drives. Any recommendations of cover (from same website, local)? Boot off UHS-1 SD.

Libreelec is meant to auto update, will have to read up on that and check the Odroid/Libreelec forum.

Anything else I need to know?

With the beelink you get a plug and go box (except for the ethernet cable), with the C2 you have to buy quite a lot to get it going.
(2017-06-06, 09:57)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 09:47)dWooluf Wrote:
(2017-06-05, 22:45)nickr Wrote: My scishion v88 has 4 usb ports and runs libreelec just fine.

Wow. Cheap. I thought Rockchip were pretty much no-go with Kodi?
And you're correct. Stick 'scishion v88 amlogic' in the google thing and you'll get an S905X box. Wink
Yes sorry the same manufacturer produces a rockchip box, I meant the amlogic version.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-06, 22:55)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 09:57)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 09:47)dWooluf Wrote: Wow. Cheap. I thought Rockchip were pretty much no-go with Kodi?
And you're correct. Stick 'scishion v88 amlogic' in the google thing and you'll get an S905X box. Wink
Yes sorry the same manufacturer produces a rockchip box, I meant the amlogic version.
I came across the same rockchip box and scratched my head before I realised they call different boxes by the same flipping name. That scishion looks interesting - does suspend work on it?
(2017-06-06, 22:45)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 16:47)tmihai20 Wrote: I do not want to make you change your mind, but an oDroid C2 would be just as good. You want it to be as cheap as possible?

Open to all advice as you know better than me. The last few pages of this thread rave about the device.

but you need to buy the Wifi module separately? This will leave 3 x USBs so will have to use a hub (powered) to fit all 5 drives. Any recommendations of cover (from same website, local)? Boot off UHS-1 SD.

Libreelec is meant to auto update, will have to read up on that and check the Odroid/Libreelec forum.

With the beelink you get a plug and go box (except for the ethernet cable), with the C2 you have to buy quite a lot to get it going.

All up what is needed? Is the power supply another add on? Remote control (which is best)? An advantage with Odroid I gather is the custom Raybuntu Libreelec.
You don't even need a power supply if you already have a spare smartphone / tablet USB charger lying around, just buy a USB or mini USB (otg) power cord.

I do not recommend WiFi for reliable streaming on any box. If you must it needs to be Dual Band 2.4/5GHz N or AC WiFi.

Recommended fast microSDHC cards for AML / RPi devices are the Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar300x Class 10 U1 ones.

(2017-06-06, 23:39)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 22:55)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 09:57)trogggy Wrote: And you're correct. Stick 'scishion v88 amlogic' in the google thing and you'll get an S905X box. Wink
I came across the same rockchip box and scratched my head before I realised they call different boxes by the same flipping name. That scishion looks interesting - does suspend work on it?
I don't know, nor do I really care, but I'll try it out for you Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Just as other users said, you must not rely on WiFi for your needs if you want it to run as smooth as possible. You only need to buy a case and a microSD card. You need a powered USB hub anyway. I recommended it because you will use a microSD card anyway to boot LibreElec or OpenElec. oDroid C2 has Gigabit Ethernet, which is a lot better than all the 100 Mbit Ethernet out there on the other boxes. I read on the oDroid forum that they will probably release a successor to C2 this year, but they did not say when. I would have chosen it if I did not want a box that can have an internal HDD inside it (I have a Q10 Pro with Android).
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
(2017-06-07, 09:33)tmihai20 Wrote: You only need to buy a case and a microSD card. You need a powered USB hub anyway....
Yes good point - just power the C2 from the USB Hub. I've even used the TV's USB power supply when travelling.

(2017-06-07, 04:24)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 23:39)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 22:55)nickr Wrote: Yes sorry the same manufacturer produces a rockchip box, I meant the amlogic version.
There is no option on my scishion V88 pro running libreelec 8.01b to suspend.

Whether this is to do with the hardware, or my settings, I do not know.

If anyone wants me to experiment more, ask away.
Thanks for looking - it's not a big deal given the amount of power they use / time they take to boot, so I should stop faffing and click 'buy'. .
(2017-06-08, 07:56)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-07, 04:24)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 23:39)trogggy Wrote: I came across the same rockchip box and scratched my head before I realised they call different boxes by the same flipping name. That scishion looks interesting - does suspend work on it?

I think Kszaq might have just removed the option because he got sick of people asking about it. There was no way it was ever going to work on all boxes.
(2017-06-08, 13:09)dWooluf Wrote:
(2017-06-08, 07:56)nickr Wrote:
(2017-06-07, 04:24)nickr Wrote: I don't know, nor do I really care, but I'll try it out for you Smile

I think Kszaq might have just removed the option because he got sick of people asking about it. There was no way it was ever going to work on all boxes.
It was removed for a while and then returned. It's always worked for me when available (Beelink mini mxiiis). I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't appear in the default power menu though.
Transferred from the START HERE thread....

(2017-06-23, 23:09)clarkss12 Wrote: Trebor from Freaktab, posted about this (MECOOL M8S Pro+ TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 - UK PLUG + 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM BLACK) $46 Android box. Surprisingly, it says it does Netflix in HD with Dolby Digital, if true, it will be the first Chinese box that supports Netfix in HD.

Of course, there are bets if the advertising is based on alternative facts.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...02-11b-g-n

Also, a coupon for $5 off, bringing the cost down to $40 or $41, with free shipping. I am tempted to getting one just to see, but have way too many now.....

Bets are being taken about whether this box actually supports Netflix in HD.

I'm calling bullshit on both HD Netflix and DD.

(2017-06-24, 05:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Transferred from the START HERE thread....

(2017-06-23, 23:09)clarkss12 Wrote: Trebor from Freaktab, posted about this (MECOOL M8S Pro+ TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 - UK PLUG + 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM BLACK) $46 Android box. Surprisingly, it says it does Netflix in HD with Dolby Digital, if true, it will be the first Chinese box that supports Netfix in HD.

Of course, there are bets if the advertising is based on alternative facts.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...02-11b-g-n

Also, a coupon for $5 off, bringing the cost down to $40 or $41, with free shipping. I am tempted to getting one just to see, but have way too many now.....

Bets are being taken about whether this box actually supports Netflix in HD.

I would not take any bets on it either. https://forum.kodi.tv/images/smilies/grin.png
(2017-06-24, 05:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Transferred from the START HERE thread....

(2017-06-23, 23:09)clarkss12 Wrote: Bets are being taken about whether this box actually supports Netflix in HD.

I'll second your Bullshit Call and raise you $5.

I ordered the K1 Pro S905D this week which makes the same claim.
I only ordered it as a dual boot LibreElec box to get Tuner / PVR functionality.
Gigabit Ethernet , AC Wifi etc.
Wait and see what happens.Wink
  • 75(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6