SOLVED - Help with Android FileSystem ?
Hi guys,

I wander if anybody here understands the android file system structure, because I don't. I posted my issue in another SKIN topic category but having rethought about my issue, its more a lack of understanding of the file structure on an Amazon Firestick device than a skin issue, so here goes...

"I have put together a small build that I would like to use myself and also give to others however I keep running into a small but consistent problem I just can't get my head around concerning the use of custom background images.

My build is construction on a windows machine using Kodi 15.2 and the latest AEON NOX skin from the default kodi repo. The version of my build works flawlessly in windows on my machine but the trouble starts once I push the custom installation to an amazon fire tv or fire-stick using Adbfire.

Once I send my version of kodi to the android device, and it restores/boots up, the build works as it should for a brief moment, but upon the next launch all the custom background images that I have used in the build simply disappear and leaves nothing but a plain black scene or default background.

If I go to the skin settings on the android/amazon device and attempt to look or select the background images for each menu item, I see the URL of the image is still linked to that of the windows computer that the build was created on, for example, the background image URL will still be set to C://USERS/KODI/ADDONS/BACKGROUNDS/pic1.jpg

OK, so I can see the problem here, but I cant for the life of me figure out a way to resolve it. If i try to click on the set background image feature to re-allocate the custom background while on the android/amazon device, the file browser simply dumps me in the root folder of my firestick, and despite trawling through every single one of these folders I cant seem to find where about the kodi installation and its addon files are kept. I must admit I am totally lost concerning the filesystem and structure of android, there are folders called SYS, DEV, D, LIB, ETC, ANDROID etc etc and I am unable to find the actual folder where kodi and its images are stored so I can give kodi the correct path needed to display my custom background images."

So if anybody can help explain where within the android file system I can find my kodi install and it's addon folders, I think that would pretty much solve my problem.
Have a look in Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi - it should be something like that.
You need to enable 'view hidden files' in your file manager to see the .kodi folder (any folder starting with a dot).
i have to delve a little deeper to get to the ".kodi" folder on my Android Box ...

1st ...
System > Setting > Appearance > File List > Show Hidden Files and Directories (make sure it's selected)

then in Kodi File Manager

Add Source > Root filesystem > storage > sdcard0 > Android > data > org.xbmc.kodi > files > .kodi > userdata
That's the same place.
He's already said he can see the Android folder.
marc how are you transferring your skin from your Windows to Firestick? are you zipping and hosting on a website?

the problem is in your guisettings

your firestick is looking for the filepath C://users/***/appdata/roaming/kodi/userdata but that only exists on your windows

if you can change your guisettings to special://userdata that will fix the problem
CMROAO , I was transfering the entire kodi folder contents from a windows install located in User/AppData/Roaming/Kodi to the firestick using Adbfire on my own wifi, not via the web. The problem is the filepath as you pointed out..

Trogggy and Sevren2013 thank you so much,,, thats all I needed, the path worked, found and updated my image path and all is good, genius thanks again Iv been bashing my head with this one for days. Much appreciated.
Does these path work on Raspberry with Openelec ?
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
userdata (wiki)

@marc118118 if you are distributing you need to check copyright on those images. And if you change any of kodi, remember the GPL obligations.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
where in the guisettings.xml do i change it to special://userdata? i have been spinning wheels all day. thanks in advance guys
If you're on Jarvis things have changed (generally for the better). Skin settings are now in addon_data > skin folder > settings.xml.
If you can find the settings.xml for the skin you're using and open it in a text editor it should be easy to find the string you want.
@troggy thanks a million, that did the trick. i was able to find that settings.xml folder exactly where you told me. you are a life saver
I'm having exactly the same problem. I've found like 4 different threads with users having the same problem, but in all cases, the solution was just to enable hidden files in ES File Explorer. I did that, and the "Files" folder under org.xbmc.kodi is still empty for me!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SOLVED - Help with Android FileSystem ?1