Mod Arctic Zephyr: Generations (Jarvis / Leia) [3.4.70 / Coming Soon]
(2016-11-13, 17:33)taalas Wrote:
(2016-11-06, 23:04)minus0 Wrote: @taalas

If it's alright with @Guardian Hope, we could do a "Last Call" update. I can sweep over the code and pull out the code responsible for the flickering.
Sorry this was still left in the skin.

Hi and thanks for taking the time to remove the flickering (I haven't had a chance to check yesterday's update but since it is the last one I assume it was addressed).

Being a software developer myself I partially understand that developing two branches simultaneously is a tough thing to do I do have to say that I am a little puzzled about the decision to end support for a skin and focusing on a next version while the underlying framework is still unstable. Being an SPMC user myself I currently don't have the choice to switch to Krypton...and even if I had I probably would keep a stable Kodi for my productive systems until Krypton is at least in RC state. The decision to abandon the legacy version and telling people to update seems a bit strange to me tbh.

Nevertheless, thanks for your amazing work on the skin!

Your issue should have been addressed @taalas as the code is definitely no longer there.

As to your second question, it''s actually rather simple really. Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes has four iterations if you count the planned "For Another Age" release. There's Arctic Zephyr: Exploded which ran on Kodi 15 Isengard, Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Dormer) which runs on Kodi 16 Jarvis, Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Danvers) which runs on Kodi 17 Krypton, and the planned Arctic Zephyr: For Another Age which will be the eventual successor to From Ashes (Danvers).

What most people don't realize is that Arctic Zephyr: Exploded and Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Dormer) are virtually the same skin. Most of the changes made were to provide Jarvis support when the From Ashes Project had a much smaller scope. This means the codebase, aside from being two years old, was also a mess because AZ:E's coding wasn't our doing and it wasn't modular by nature. For every change you make in From Ashes (Dormer) you ran the risk of breaking something buried very deep that we didn't know about.

So came the idea to modularize the code in, what at the time was an "eventual successor." That eventual successor is now known as Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Danvers). Pretty much the entire codebase has been rewritten and facilities that didn't exist in AZ:E or AZ:FA (Dormer) now exist in AZ:FA (Danvers) and will easily continue to Arctic Zephyr: For Another Age.

This [should] be the only time support is dropped on a Long Term Support status version of AZ:FA before the General Availability release of the successor version of AZ:FA.

A lot was taken into consideration before we decided to drop AZ:FA (Dormer) support but in the end it just made sense so we could move forward and not be limited by the AZ:E coding. Beta 5 of AZ:FA (Danvers) introduces a lot of changes and a multitude of new fixes that should make AZ:FA (Danvers) a lot more stable than the current Alpha 9 release. Of course, you are right, Krypton, the underlying framework, is still unstable in of itself but this was a matter of "what will make future development easier" - especially as we begin to bring AZ:B (Arctic Zephyr: Braz) features into AZ:FA - something we could never do without practically rewriting the code to AZ:FA (Dormer).
Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes
The New Arctic Zephyr: Exploded Experience for Kodi Jarvis
Arctic Zephyr: Generations - Coming Soon

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arctic Zephyr - by faugusztin - 2016-05-20, 16:40
RE: Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes - by ramin_85 - 2016-06-10, 18:57
126 mb skin? - by licnexus - 2016-07-22, 22:09
RE: Arctic Zephyr: From Ashes (Jarvis / Krypton Fixed) [3.4.20 / 4.9.90-alpha9] - by Guardian Hope - 2016-11-13, 18:46
Missing Menu? - by park13 - 2016-12-31, 22:11
Random music background - by papayo29 - 2017-01-05, 15:10
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic Zephyr: Generations (Jarvis / Leia) [3.4.70 / Coming Soon]7