Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU)
Quote:24p / 4K / H265 (HEVC) Hardware decoders start from here...

- Intel Microarchitecture, Skylake, Braswell & Cherry trails,
Great support as well shown from the Kodi developers
The Braswell platform is slowly becoming the 2016 Chromebox.
You get what you pay for here, which is massive flexibility and a lot of grunt in the higher priced NUC's.
Top Spec, Top of the range deinterlacing for some NUC's, details HERE
Software decoding of any problematic video codecs (eg. 10-bit) on i3/ i5 / i7 NUC's, means virtually all video playback problems are covered here. i series Intel, definitely recommended for Hi10P Anime fans.
Kodi outputs decoded 10-bit video as 8-bit, however may change during the year.
4K Limited to 30Hz due to HDMI 1.4 limitation, unless a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter purchased.
No Hardware decoding of Interlaced VC-1 content if using Linux / OpenELEC
Disappointingly - No HDMI CEC control built into Intel, like other devices listed in this thread, some boxes do have IR receivers.
HDMI CEC can be added via a Pulse8 HDMI CEC Adapter
However, for basic 4K/2K/1080p video playback, Intel i series NUC's are complete overkill and overpriced for Kodi use only.

Also, out of these Boxes from the 3 chip architectures listed above - which have/ may possibly have maximum internal "expansion" i.e. SATA / mSATA/ M.2 ports ?

As the i NUCs are expensive while the affordable boxes in B & C links don't seem to have much expansion. Might it make sense to get MoBos that support B & C and opt for a cheaper Non-i CPU? That way I get the ports and the lower cost?

I do not necessarily need i processors, but I'd like to have some ports internally to do some Slave Box activities that I cant on my laptop.
Quote:Typically for overnight burn in tests; dban, badblocks, chkdsk, SMART/ Surface Tests, Seagate/ WD Tests
Sometimes HDD/ Partition Cloning / Ghosting etc. for my Synology NAS drives

Messages In This Thread
RE: Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU) - by crashnburn - 2016-02-25, 18:44
Skylake-U lineup - by oWarchild - 2015-08-12, 15:09
#Skylake NUCs coming soon - by omnium - 2015-11-02, 13:13
Intel NUC - SkyLake - by _Spook_ - 2016-01-28, 13:47
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Skylake (6th Generation CPU)1