ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2016-05-16, 05:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Open/LibreELEC are lean and mean - Just Enough OS's, and as such run entirely in RAM memory with minimal Write operations to external storage for day to day usage. Yes eMMC is much faster than µSDHC cards if you are doing a lot of random 4K Read/Write operations.

What is important on these types of boards like the RPi3 and C2 then becomes actual clocked DDR RAM speed. You can run a RPi3 reliably with DDR2 RAM clocked at 500MHz, the C2 uses DDR3 RAM clocked at 912MHz. Its nearly twice as fast. The soon to be released S905's devices by WeTek will be the same as the C2.

Comparing eMMC 5.0 Flash vs a decent UHS1 / Class 10 µSDHC card like the Samsung EVO series back to back when running LibreELEC, you really don't notice a lot of difference day to day. Bootup times are quicker with eMMC vs µSDHC and the GUI runs a tiny bit quicker. Scraping large video libraries is quite a bit quicker with eMMC as you are doing a lot of random Write operations. I don't do that very often.

You really would not complain though if using a µSDHC card only. 2.0 GHz AML S8x2/S905's with DDR3 RAM are quite speedy ARM devices when running Open/LibreELEC. Smile

I have no experience with Open/LibreELEC on a SD Card. I've always run it on a SATA 7.200RPM HDD and no complaints there. Really fast. But even with Class 10 SD Cards in my photo camera with writing and reading from the card it doesn't feel quick. Anyway, if you say it is OK with Open/LibreELEC, I'm sure you are right. So I'll give it a try.

I've been going through my options these past few days and I kind of discarded the Chromebox'es due to the older Intel CPU's which don't provide HEVC/x256 hardware decoding. All of a sudden I have a few x256 encoded files on my hands and my CPU goes up to 80% usage for a 1MBit file. It won't go much higher than 1,5MBit and I suppose the 4th generation Intel Celerons won't either. That is not a good sign for the future. An Intel NUC with 6th generation Skylake CPU would be a good solution but it is relatively expensive and I would not be comfortable having that powered on 24/7. I don't think they are built for that. It's a bit too "Gold Plated" for what I want.

So I'm definitely looking for a S905 based solution. Either in Dual Boot or just giving up on Chromium and stick with the Youtube Kodi Add-on (which currently seems to work by the way, let's hope it lasts!) The C2 is great but I will wait until the Wetek HUB comes out to see at what price they will be selling it. A big advantage about the C2 for me is the 2GB of RAM. I find the 1GB of RAM of the Wetek HUB a bit tight. My OpenElec sais it uses 600MB of RAM. I would like to have a bit more headroom than only 400MB.

On the other hand, the Wetek products give me a more mature feeling than the C2. Very into KODI and Openelec and good support. I like Wetek. Big Grin Also, their new products come with the Amlogic S905-H revision C, which also sounds like an improvement over the first S905's that came out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $40 - by Eneko - 2016-05-17, 20:23
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610